Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Verheuvel5 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Connecting Multiple Speakers
    Hi, I am attempting to get the best performance out of a pair of outdoor rock speakers. My set up is simple.

* 100 watt 8 ohms channel (Pioneer VSX-516).
    * Wired to a Volume control (Proficent VC60I) (impedance Balancing Volume Control).
    * To the two Speakercraft 620ROX (60W 8 ohms) speakers.

The problem is during construction one of the outdoor speaker wires was cut (and it is under concrete(So I'm screwed). I have the single +/- wire going to speaker 1 (+ to + and - to -). I then tied the next speaker in line (like below):

Right Channel (+) ------ (+) ------- (+)

Right Channel (-) ------ (-) -------- (-)

(Left Channel is Dead!)

Is this the best configuration or should I attempt a different wiring? Should I try to tie the Left and Right Channels together at the source before the volume control. Maybe after the volume control.

Thanks
    SmartNsexa Posts: 50, Reputation: 4

Jun 29, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Verheuvel5
    Hi, I am attempting to get the best performance out of a pair of outdoor rock speakers. My set up is simple.

* 100 watt 8 ohms channel (Pioneer VSX-516).
    * Wired to a Volume control (Proficent VC60I) (impedance Balancing Volume Control).
    * To the two Speakercraft 620ROX (60W 8 ohms) speakers.

The problem is during contruction one of the outdoor speaker wires was cut (and it is under concrete(So I'm screwed). I have the single +/- wire going to speaker 1 (+ to + and - to -). I then tied the next speaker in line (like below):

Right Channel (+) ------ (+) ------- (+)

Right Channel (-) ------ (-) -------- (-)

(Left Channel is Dead!)

Is this the best configuration or should I attempt a different wiring? Should I try to tie the Left and Right Channels together at the source before the volume control. Maybe after the volume control.

Thanks
    You will not get a good balanced sound with this configuration.

You should either try to rig Left rock wirelessly or start pressurewashing under that concrete to run new wire.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 09:54 PM
    What you are doing is putting the speakers in parallel which effectivly makes their total impeadance 4 ohms. The amp probably has ratings for 4 ohms.

Run the amp into the L pad and then the speaker combination.

In hindsight you should have run conduit to the speaker.

Question: Was one or both wires cut?
    Verheuvel5 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Both wires cut ? - not sure. I have two separate wires leading outside. Line A (+) and (-) Works (Right Channel). Line B (+) and (-) does not. I have not tested to see if "half of Line B" works.

Since My amp is 8 Ohms. Do you recommend at a minimun I switch to a Parallel connection?

Yes - The builder should have done a lot of things (the least of which was run a conduit) for the price I paid... by that is a different issue.

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Verheuvel5
    both wires cut ? - not sure. I have two separate wires leading outside. Line A (+) and (-) Works (Right Channel). Line B (+) and (-) does not. I have not tested to see if "half of Line B" works.
    If one line is intact, you may be able to run (-) speaker to speaker to amp and then a (+L) to one speaker and (+R) to the other. e.g. use 3 wires.
    May depend on the L-pad.

Actually what would be better is a IR to RF remote gizmo that snaps onto the remote and control the volume that way from the pre-amp.

Since My amp is 8 Ohms. Do you recommend at a minimum I switch to a Parallel connection?
    I really recomment that it see the L-pad first. Volume will be reduced if in series.

Yes - The builder should have done a lot of things (the least of which was run a conduit) for the price I paid... by that is a different issue.

Thanks
    Yep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting speakers to amps of varying powers [ 3 Answers ]

HI there, First time asker, so go gentle please;) Is it possible to connect 1 sub woofer 200 watt, 2 200 watt speakers and 1 speaker 300watts to an 200watt amp minimum 8hms that can oncreased to 600watt with a bridge connection. If this makes sense (cos this is the information I've been...

Connecting to multiple networks [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently a college student who enjoys downloading files. On my side of the room I have 2 LAN network connections, usually one goes to my Xbox 360 and the other to my computer but when I have large files to download I was wondering if I could use both LAN connections in my computer to double...

Connecting to multiple networks at the same time with one PC [ 23 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a question about being on multiple networks at the same time. I have two networks at home, first I'll explain the topology of each of them. Directly on my internet connection, behind my modem, there is a switch (which functions as a hub I guess). Behind this hub are 2...

Speakers [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 93 grand wagoneer and the front & back drivers side speakers have no sound. We disconnected the speakers and tried them on the house stereo and they work. Question is this: there are so many wires and we are trying to figure out if the speaker wire has come loose somewhere.We have no idea...

View more questions Search