Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    celiner Posts: 66, Reputation: 5

Jun 29, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Shower Sealant
    I have a gorgeous shower unit that looks awful because the sealant has turned black. I will have to remove this and reapply some more. Hopefully this won't happen again.
    I live in a hard water area and the water is full of lime. Any tips on how to remove the sealant without scratching the interior and also what sealant will not go black?

Many thanks for any replies.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 29, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Tell us more about this "gorgeous shower unit that looks awful".
    I'm assuming that this is a manufactured base and enclosure and not a custom tile shower. Correct?: What type of "sealant" and what does it seal?
    How long has the unit been in? Well or city water?: Is it black in places or all over? To answer you we need all the details you can give us. I'll wait on your reply. Regards, n tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Lots to tell us. If you are planning on a silcione caulk I'd recommend Daps Kwik Seal Plus. This stuff has a mildewcide built into it. DAP Products - Caulks and Sealants - DAP® KWIK SEAL PLUS® Premium Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Caulk w/MICROBAN®
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 02:56 PM
    After you clean everything real good with TSP, you might be able to soften the old caulk with mineral spirits. Whatever you use, get some good ventilation! All the stuff has fumes that used is a small area can keel you over.

Good luck

Jun 29, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Celiner actually needs to answer Tom's question before we can do much more. If this is a fiberglass stll Dap is the way to go. If however it's a combination fiberglass pan and ceramic wall she'll need stainproof grout for the walls.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 03:20 PM
    It depends if you have silicon based or latex based caulk. Silicone sometimes just peels off. Find a loose end and pull on it. Latex based caulk hardens and has to be carefully scraped off.

Chances are that the black "stuff" on your caulk is fungus or accumulated residue from soap and shampoo. Today, you can purchase caulks that prevents growth of fungus.

Latex caulks are easier to apply for homeowner since they can be cleaned with water. Silicon requires some practice before you get nice bead.

To re-apply caulk: first make sure the surface is clean, and dry. Best is not to use that particular shower for couple of days.

With silicone, we always apply denaturated alcohol from spray bottle first to fine-clean the surface. (Home Depot: Paint section ). Wipe it off with paper towel. Cut off 1/8" section of tip form your tube of caulk. Than carefully and at slow pace, follow the area to be caulked. When finished, I spray the newly applied bead with alcohol again and gently go over it with my finger creating coving along side of the edge. Remember, with silicone, you can try to smooth it only once, maybe twice. Third time you go over it, caulk will wrinkle or you will strip it. Then it takes lots of effort to clean it and reapply. But whatever you do, stay as far as possible from water as you can.

With latex based caulk you can go over newly applied bead with wet fingertip. You have few minutes before it sets and starts developing wrinkles under you finger.

Some installers tape along side the caulked area blue masking tape to prevent caulk from spreading too wide. When smooth and still wet, they peal it off.

In both applications, it is important that you allow for proper cure time. With silicone it is about 72 hours. If it cures properly - it will last for very long time.

Practice someplace else first before you do it in your beautiful shower... and... Good luck !
    celiner Posts: 66, Reputation: 5

Jul 9, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Hi all. Thank you all so much for quick replies. Have not had access to internet for some time but am now back in action. You are correct, I did not give enough info in my question. Not up on the plumbing terms so I will do my best. My remodeled bathroom is approx 4-5 years old. The sealant is between the base and the door of the showerunit. It is a manufactured unit. I think the frame is made from pvc and glass. I don't think it is fibreglass (maybe the base is made from fibreglass?). The doors are very heavy to close. They are sliding doors. The glass doors have a special coating on them to prevent soap scum and boy does it work. It was an expensive unit. I had to import it direct form the UK. Sorry I can't be any clearer on that. The sealant is white silicon. All of the sealant has turned black except for a couple of cms here and there. The problem is worse in the corners. The water supply is city water. The water has a lot of lime in it. Only one wall has tiling. The tile grouting is perfect after 4 years. I don't know what caulk is. I live in Ireland so I will have to find out the ingredients of the products you recommend and get equivalent brand here.

Once again thank you for the replies. Very much appreciated.

Jul 9, 2008, 10:37 AM
    I am not 100% sure but I think DAP Products - Caulks and Sealants - DAP® KWIK SEAL PLUS® Premium Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Caulk w/MICROBAN® is available in your country.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 12:18 PM
    I think I would try a little clorine bleach first, sounds like mold and mildew..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sealant (pipe dope) on faces of union [ 3 Answers ]

I have a union that I just can't get to seal. The fluid in the pipe is off-road diesel fuel. The pressure is less than 50 psi. The fitting is a 1-1/2 npt iron union with a brass face. I'm getting desperate. I'm thinking about disassembling it (yet again... ), drying it off, and applying a...

Small crack in toilet tank-- any sealant/caulk ? [ 1 Answers ]

That will fix? Don't want to replace whole tank ! -- crack below waterline -- any help appreciated

What kind of sealant do you use on a plastic sink [ 2 Answers ]

Please can someone help me, I need to know what sort of sealer do you normally use on a plastic sink pee trap compression fitting?

How Do You Remove Sealant From A Tub... [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a house and decided to remove the sliding glass shower doors from the tub frame (non-ceramic, plasticky type). After we removed the hardware and tracks we noticed long lines of clear sealant that will not pull off. I am afraid of using a widget or any type of razor...

Teflon tape or caulk/sealant? [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing the broken top section of a threaded Jones Stephens shower drain. The old section had plumbers putty used as a thread sealant on the PVC threads. The putty manufacturer says not to use it on plastic. Should I use teflon tape or a caulk/sealant (DAP KwidSeal for showers)?

View more questions Search