Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    girlyt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Dating a cheap person
    I date a guy who every time we go out, he tells me off and says I cost him too much. We rarely go out and he always holds that against me. He makes 10,000 a month to my 5,000 and he spends thousands on his daughter but not on me. He is plain cheap should I get rid of him?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
    He has set his priority in life with his money, if you want to go out and he does not, he you want him to spend money on you and he does not, sounds like you need to move on. But then what sort of money do you want him to spend on you, what is his other costs, people that make 10,000 a month often are spending 11,000 a month and at times seldom actually have money, so is he budgeted, does he over spend on other htings ?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 02:32 PM
    It won't very likely get any better but it might get worse. Your last sentence tells me that you have already decided. If you are looking for confirmation, you've got it.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Dump him. If he cannot afford to take you out, he shouldn't do it. Nothing is more miserable than to go someplace with someone who constantly frets over the costs incurred. If you cannot afford to go, stay home ! I could not imagine wasting more than a very few minutes of my time with someone who acts like that.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 03:46 AM
    Cheap is relative to what people want and expect, but if he is not living up to your standard(s)
    Then dump him because it rarely does get any better like smearcase said.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Being cheap/miserly/spendthrift is, in and of itself, just fine. Raining crap down on someone else's head about is NEVER fine.

This is the tip of the iceberg. While simply dating casually, this guy has already demonstrated a lack of tact and generosity with you(someone he's SUPPOSED to be trying to impress... ugh). I would expect this ability to deal out crap to you about his issues will show up time and time again.

You don't need his problems aimed at your head. Next guy!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Where do you go that's expensive? And do you pay your own way?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 30, 2008, 08:48 AM
    I agree with what is being said. My first reaction would be to get rid of him. However, it can't be done solely because he "is cheap", "Telling you off" would bother me and be reason for me. However, keeping this in context of what's happening is important. Ifyou have been together for a long time and he is frustrated because you don't give equally, that might be reason to keep him around and amend your ways. It's never okay to be with someone that is abusive, verbally or otherwise. You be the judge... where is this relationship going? Is it worth saving or worth it to you? Have you asked him to stop?
    sd1025 Posts: 98, Reputation: 11

Jun 30, 2008, 01:35 PM
    If its not fun why bother I don't meen spend money like water but if going anywhere turns him into a jerk what's the point
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Cheap is relative to what people want and expect, but if he is not living up to your standard(s)
    then dump him because it rarely does get any better like smearcase said.

I agree - if you can't agree on finances (what is important, what is not) I see tons of trouble in every aspect of the relationship. I also would see problems if he belittles or criticizes you.

Do you reciprocate or do you expect him to pay for everything? My husband made a lot more money than I did but on our second date, following dinner (which he paid for), I took HIM to a local dessert café and bought HIM coffee and dessert.

He said in all the years he had been dating that had never happened before - he was always expected to pay.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Also what some call cheap others appreciate.
    Like is he a McDonald's guy OR a family restaurant or diner guy and you are expecting Le Grande Chez Bourdeaux?
    Does he pull cheap tricks like excusing himself to the bathroom when the check is handed to him and not coming out until you get tired of waiting and pay for it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We're dating, but he posted on a dating site! [ 11 Answers ]

We've only been dating for about a month or so. The first couple of weeks, he called me every day, sometimes twice a day. Then it was less frequent. I assumed he didn't have the guts to break it off, so I stopped calling him and he wouldn't call me for a few days, but he always called. Said...

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Where can I get a cheap and new Wii? [ 10 Answers ]

I want to get a Wii but most stores I know are out of stock or comes in HIGH price... so does any body knows any sites that I can buy Wii for cheap probably comes with 1Wii , 1 or 2 Controllers, 1 or 5 Games and plugs. Thanks

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

Cheap mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

What is your opinion on interest only mortgages? A person can get a $200,000 house for 1.5 to 2 percent! Their sell is that someone can invest the savings and have enough cash after 30-years to buy the house and have money to retire on... Thoughts? :eek:

View more questions Search