Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mathew68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 11:20 AM
    H1B and a trader in securities
    I am an active stock and options trader and would like to know whether I can classify myself as a trader in securities for tax purposes. I am currently on an H1B visa. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 10:51 PM
    What are expecting to gain by classifying yourself as trader?
    mathew68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 07:58 AM
    I believe it would be beneficial for tax purposes to mark my positions to market and to avoid the wash sales rule? Also, I would like to deduct the margin interest expenses I have incurred. I believe I cannot do that if I am not classified a trader? Thanks in advance for any insight.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Actually, you CAN deduct margin interest if you itemize.

It is VERY HARD to convince the IRS that you are engaged as a trader as a business (filing Schedule C), especially if you are drawing a salary under a W-2.

Further, doing so would probably be a violation of the terms of your H-1B visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Securities that are risky [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help Which one of the Following types of securities is typically considered the most risky? 1 Preferred stock of large companies 2. Common stocks of large companies 3. Long term government bonds 4. Certificates of deposit

Stock Market Trader [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im a 33 years old individual online-stocks trader. I love my profession and want it to become my life time career. What do I need to make this going good?

Securities conversion [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rules regarding the conversion of debt securities to equity securities?

View more questions Search