Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hogger Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Jun 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Leak caused pothole & void underneath
    Hi there I have an above ground pool, 18' X36' , I have developed a small leak on the bottom on top of one of the crosser bands. I have stopped the leak, but it has left a sink hole about eight inches across and two inches deep. I now have a small area with a void of no sand under the liner. Is there a way to inject sand into this void somehow? Or do I need to drain the pool?

Thanks Hogger
    "PERMENANT STRUCTURE 18 feet by 36 feet"
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 01:42 PM
    A pool this size is usually the kind you take down at the end of the seaon, is this you situation? By the way that size is on sale at Menard's for $99 this weekend. I'd ignore it for now and not waste the wate to drain and refill because that's what it will require.
    coltonjared Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Jun 29, 2008, 02:34 PM
    I believe Hogger has a 18ft by 36ft by 4ft oval pool that stays up all year round

Jun 29, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Bet you a buck its 18' round 36" high.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 02:49 PM
    I was wondering if it might be possible to push a piece of conduit under the bottom of the pool to the hole and shooting sand through it with air ? If 2 pieces of conduit were used, 1 to release air pressure and a sandblaster nozzle attached to the other, if that would work ? You could use PVC and join a couple of ten foot lengths together, round off the end and slide it carefully under the lining. That would be easy. The hard part is figuring how to deliver the sand to the void. I think forcing it in one side with air would work.

When I was still working, my nickname was "McGiver". LOL Maybe because I used to make tools, jig, adapters, etc to keep my stuff working.

If its only 18 ft diameter, 2 ten foot sections of pipe would do it. They could even come to the hole from the same direction, as long as one is used as an exhaust and the other an intake.

Jun 29, 2008, 02:54 PM
    You have about a hundred lbs of pressure on that liner and the conduit would likely snag and tear the liner. Can't think of anything we could inject through the liner to fill the depression. Hooger used the word void but it is actually a depression, there's no air space trapped under the liner.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 03:02 PM
    OK. Here I was even thinking you could drill a hole in the side near the end of a PVC delivery tube. Stick a funnel into the hole and fill the funnel with sand. You could take a blow gun and stick the nozzle into the end of the pipe and inject the sand that way. Might even be able to stick a small wiffle ball on the end of the pipe to slide it under the plastic liner without catching.

Again, just some random ideas.

The liner might need to be lifted though if it's filling the void.

Doable, maybe, but probably not practical

Jun 29, 2008, 03:07 PM
    I agree, maybe doable but not practical. If I am correct about the size of the pool I'd ignore the problem, its going to be drained in few months. Next time he can lay visqueen down between the sand and the liner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain cleaner may have caused leak [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a leak in my bathroom drain under my slab foundation. I dug a hole under the house and replaced the drain assembly but there was another small hole in the pipe where the 2 inch cast iron pipe went onto a three inch pipe. I was able to JB weld that hole .The JB weld held fine and does...

How is a contract void [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if we have signed a contract with a real estate agent on 10 03 2007 and it states on there the expiration date of the contract and said agent wrote down 04 03 2007, does that make the contract void and I can drop it with no repercussions.

Is my contract void? [ 7 Answers ]

My wife and I recently purchased what was listed as a 3 bedroom house. A week before the closing I receive a call from my lawyer that the seller could not attain a C/O for a 3 bedroom house because the upstairs converted attic(which was the houses 3rd bedroom) is not up to state code for habitable...

View more questions Search