Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 22, 2006, 06:07 AM
    New martial artist
    So I'm trying to teach myself some manner of martial arts since I can't go to any nearby schools due to schedule conflicts. So I'm looking for any advice for training and whatnot as well as if you know of any DVD's that are actually effective for learning a martial art without a teacher. I do plan on doing kung fu in about a year when I go to college, but in the mean time I'm open to any other types of martial arts.

I'm about 5'9 and 135lbs and am interested in speed more so than strength. I train by doing push ups as fast as I can,jump roping, the ol' candle punching technique (I actually extinguished the candle a few days ago and have been pretty giddy about it since haha), and just some overall excersizes like crunches and lots of different stretches.

Also do you think self-teaching martial arts is a feasible option? I do plan on sparring with my friend who is a black-belt in kung fu on the weekends (not full out,just to practice form and to work on a synthesis of instinct and a scientific approach to fighting) so I will have the chance to flesh out some of the major weaknesses I suppose.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2006, 07:30 AM
    First it really don't matter what you are interested in, speed is only one aspect of the art form, there are specific movements, stances and reactions that are all put into motion.

Next a lot of what you "self teach" and the tricks will be laughed at my real martial artists. It is not about show it is about inner strengh.

Next you are getting just not understanding, trying to "spare" forget it, you are doing street fighting most likely.

If you have a black belt friend, then let him start showing you the basics on the week end and leave the sparing for a year or two down the road when you actually know methods and technique.

If you follolw your current path, when you finally do actually start taking real lessons, you will not like it, since they will have to unteach you most of what you are doing now.

As for as the candles, there are 5 year olds that can do it, don't get over yourself,

Next there is no "science" there is method and style from centuries of work that has to be learned. You may study one style for years, to just master it, and have dozens of styles to learn.

You need to forget what you think you know and either change your schedule to learn it property or wait.

Mar 22, 2006, 08:20 AM
    first it really don't matter what you are interested in, speed is only one aspect of the art form, there are specific movements, stances and reactions that are all put into motion.
    I was just saying that my focus was not towards strength but more towards speed, I'm well aware of there being multiple aspects of the art,however what nonsense is this that you say it doesn't matter what I'm interested in, there are hundreds of styles of fighting for the very reason that people have different areas of interest. Take for instance grappling versus striking,well explosive muscle (not really sure how to word it the best way,but muscle conditioned for speed not so much strength) would more than likely be more important to the striker than to the grappler who would need more strength for holds and such than speed (not saying that speed isn't important as well).

Next a lot of what you "self teach" and the tricks will be laughed at my real martial artists. It is not about show it is about inner strengh.
    I'm not in this for show,I enjoy both the history,science,and majesty of martial arts. I take the art seriously,however I don't think that just because I take it seriously that I shouldn't have fun with it,martial arts is about more than beating people up, I do make it a point to have fun with it,otherwise why bother with it? I'm in this to enjoy the ride not just the destination.

If you have a black belt friend, then let him start showing you the basics on the week end and leave the sparing for a year or two down the road when you actually know methods and technique.
    But all the theory in the world won't help you without actual real-time practice, a good mind for something is great,but conditioning yourself so that what you learn becomes reflexive is much more important than theory alone in my opinion. Wouldn't you agree?

If you follolw your current path, when you finally do actually start taking real lessons, you will not like it, since they will have to unteach you most of what you are doing now.
    Well I have my friend helping to make sure I don't develop any bad habits,but at this point I love martial arts too much to just sit around and not do anything unfortunately,probably not the best of strategies though I do agree.

as for as the candles, there are 5 year olds that can do it, don't get over yourself,
    Those must be some kick-*** 5 year olds,they'd get my props,but it isn't a matter of bragging,don't misunderstand,it's just something I find really cool and very effective for my entire set of muscles involved in a punch. I know I'd get torn apart by any trained martial artist but I'm not really too worried about it,I'm doing this because it's fun and I enjoy it above all. Again as with any art form I should make sure I do it just for the end product and not for the fun of it at all right?

Next there is no "science" there is method and style from centuries of work that has to be learned. You may study one style for years, to just master it, and have dozens of styles to learn.
    Um let's look at the definition for science: "The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena. " there is a definite science to it,from the physics of striking to the biology of how the body reacts to different breathing patterns, I've heard multiple martial artists refer to there being a science in martial arts (Including Bruce Lee in a documentary).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2006, 08:55 AM
    I am sorry If I came on a little strong, but every so often I see it in our local studio and saw it a lot more in Atlanta, where some teen comes in after watching and training with some video at home thinking they are ready to be a black belt and knows nothing of the respect, the honor and the proper hand and feet positions and the routines of their style. They have to spend often more time unlearning what they thought they knew before they can even get the first belt. Where if they learned properly they may have done it in half the time
    So they get discouraged since they are not the next Chuck Norris in the first three months and often stop coming trying to blame the studio for not teaching them right.

I am not saying you can't learn self defense at home for protection, but if you want to really lean properly and do competition, you need to devote yourself, you say there is a schedule problem, why not change the problem so you can go.

If you have a friend who is a black belt, stop playing around with candles and sparing and actually start at the basics of the style.

When I hear of someone who has never taken a class ever talk about picking up and using a weapon, or doing some of the tricks ( breaking things, OK I will admit the candle thing self taught is pretty neat and a great party thrill)
    I am just afraid they have learned so many bad habits that to try to start them on the real methods will seem too basic for them and they will not keep up the interest and study.

Mar 22, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Well the point is moot,after much searching I found a kung fu school about 20 minutes away from my house (on foot) so this topic is kind of pointless now haha,however I appreciate martial arts for what it is and I feel it's a bit presumptuous to automatically jump the gun on the train of thought that I'm just some reckless kid trying to be a blackbelt. I've been training for about three months just to condition myself for classes (just building up endurance and strength) while researching the history,strengths,and dynamics of different styles.

I understand your rather blatant frustration but I feel that your attitude was rather uncalled for with such little knowledge of my goals and what drives me to study martial arts. As for the candle thing,I wasn't self-taught per se,my friend showed me how to do a punch properly and told me some suggestions for increasing my speed/strength such as punching towards a candle and punching sand in a bucket, but I have to agree with you,it would be a neat party trick if that was my aim. I started doing that after hearing about a demonstration where Golden Snake style kung fu grandmaster Syn Kwang The (or maybe Sin Kwang The,I can't quite remember), flicked his wrist towards a candle that was shielded by a sheet of glass and extinguished it from several feet away (with out breaking the glass to my amazement), the intricacies,science,and majesty of such harmony of body and mind demonstrated in martial arts is what draws me to learn,not trying to beat up a guy who looks at me the wrong way.Judge not lest ye be judged. Consider this my introduction to the forum.
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

May 8, 2006, 03:34 AM
    IF you can learn well.

If you can understand fighting long before people called it martial arts was still a way of doing the same thing. Even children fight. And learning in any area takes time, practice, and patience. So do not expect overnight expertise but do hope that you are learning something useful. So go enjoy. Have fun.

I do hope you learn something from whatever source you use.
    Gav91 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 07:16 PM

After reading the entire post, I wish to tell you about a martial arts book which I have written which explains in GREAT depth about things such as techniques, self defence, weaponry, Kata, Breaks (Tamashiwari) and even healthy eating and fitness.

I will be more than happy to send you a preview if you wish, many of my students have benefitted from my method of learning, over other books, etc. the second book will be published shortly as well if you wish to purchase a copy?

I hope to hear from you
    Gavin MortiboysFounder of TAOF and Chairman of thisiskyokushin tm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Martial arts movie [ 4 Answers ]

About 15 to 20 years ago I saw a movie which I can no longer recall the name of. The movie was about 5 or 6 guys who used to be in the same military unit together- who come together to help save a town or what not. Of the characters I can remember- one was drunk living in a salvage yard, one was a...

Martial Arts and Physics? [ 25 Answers ]

Are there any books out there that treat martial arts from a physics point of view? Even better- Are there any teachers, professors, or instructors out there willing to collaborate on a book on the subject?

Facing court martial [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, Got it. Yes I'm an Army guy. I'm currently in Iraq nearing the end of a year-long deployment. I have been under a lot of stress and I think that's a least part of what precipitated the situation I find myself in today. I am facing a court martial for larceny that is likely to result in a...

Better Basketball Through Martial Arts [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone discuss some of the ways that martial arts training can improve a person's basketball?

Martial Arts and Boxing [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone noticed the various levels of boxing are beginning to show signs of martial arts training or martial arts type stances? Is this because trainers are utilizing martial artists to aid there boxers? Is it because many martial artists and boxers are crossing-over? Can anyone discuss this?

View more questions Search