Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 02:28 AM
    Vets and the 4th of July
    Any of you guys get "upset" over the 4th ?

I admit the mortars do it to me, even after all this time.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 05:13 AM
    It is understandable that 4th of July celebrations might bother some veterans, but it is also an honor for veterans that battles that happened many years ago are still remembered by the citizens of the U.S. For many Americans, the fireworks displays are a salute to veterans.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Bothered ? By a time to be proud of your nation, of the people who were brave enough to be considered traitors and to over turn an oppressive government. The people who often suffered great loss to secure the freedoms and rights we have. And to further honor other soldiers who have in the past and still today fight to keep those freedom for us, it is one of the days I am most proud to be a an American and to be a Vet.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 03:13 PM
    You guys misunderstood what I meant by bothered. It's a much more personal thing than the celebration. I was referring to a recurrence of flashbacks and that sort of thing. It's not discussed publicly or even at the VA clinics much. I thought with the anonymous aspect of the internet, there might be others who knew what I meant.

I regret asking. And won't repeat this mistake

Sorry
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by westnlas
    You guys misunderstood what I meant by bothered. It's a much more personal thing than the celebration. I was referring to a recurrence of flashbacks and that sort of thing. It's not discussed publicly or even at the VA clinics much. I thought with the anonymous aspect of the internet, there might be others who knew what I meant.

I regret asking. And won't repeat this mistake

Sorry
    I understood what you meant. I know to this day, my Father, Grandpa, and two of my brothers still have never shared some of the stories that stay as deep as they let them go. They will never talk out loud about some of the things that happened to them or their friends and foe, in fact even their enemies. I agree that in this day to come we should be thankful and celebrate, but with every time we celebrate and that anniversary arrives, I am positive they think back to the memories. I want to share my gratitude... to all who serve(d), THANK YOU.

(For me, one who has never had to endure, or feel the pain or heavy burden of those types of memories, I want to tell you all, I have no idea how you feel, but wish I could take some of that burden from you, and by celebrating what you fought for, I feel as if I support you!)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 09:04 PM
    I understood what you meant. That is sad in a way that a day meant to honor our country and military can have the opposite effect. My favorite day is the 4th and I get right under the firework barge. I love thinking of the side of America that we seem to be losing to political crapola. I love the military people and that they are willing to serve our country.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 09:08 PM
    We can't help but to think of the bad... along with the good. It is our human nature... even my birthday reminds me of some bad times, this is totally natural, it doesn't mean we don't celebrate the fact that I lived another year. (I know I can't compare a birthday with July 4th, it was just an example.)
    We keep celebrating... we have to keep the Love of America alive!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 09:14 PM
    I know many vets who will forgo the formal fireworks and the pomp and circumstance due to PSTD. The mortars just bring back too many memories.

In my family we celebrate (my father in law was in Hanoi Hilton), by spending the day as a family picnicing and the like, swimming, cooking out, etc. The fireworks are done at home after "Pop" has gone back home for the evening so as not to upset him.

My children understand, as I have taken them to some professional fireworks, and choose to stay home and celebrate with "Pop."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ARM adjusting in July 08 [ 1 Answers ]

Can somebody help me understand and figure this out. I have called my Mortgage Company and asked them what the new payment will be and all they say is we will be getting the new rate and payment in the mail about a month before it takes effect. I would like to know now so I can make adjustments...

Homeless Vets [ 32 Answers ]

Hello Righty's: Last Tuesday night, in reference to our nation's homeless veterans, Your spokesperson, Bill O'Reilly said: “They may be out there, but there’s not many of them out there. Okay? … If you know where there's a veteran sleeping under a bridge, you call me immediately, and we will...

Vets can't diagnose the illness? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, Im new here so forgive me if im placing this in the wrong section. I would really appreciate any opinion on what i am about to share as im in a bit of confusion over the vet not being able to tell me what is up with the dog i petsit for, and love so much. Pepper is a 10 month old...

Can vets legally spay or neuter pitbulls if they are banned? [ 9 Answers ]

Even though pitbulls are banned here in ontario canada, will the vet still spay or nueter a pitbull puppy or will they have to put it down?

View more questions Search