Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariaengland08 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 12:02 AM
    Quit Claim
    Hello

Recently I received a letter from a Lawyer who originally had me and the co-owner sign a contract regarding the mutual property. I no longer live there and co-owner refuses to sell and can't refinance. In the letter this lawyer presents to discuss that he was hired by the other co-owner regarding the property and suggest he is trying to help resolve the matter without having to go to court, which he says is very expensive. His suggested after checking with co-owner, that I should sign a quit claim over to her. He says that would relieve me of any debt I have with her ( I owe her nothing ), but than explains I unfortunetely would still carry the mortgage loan of about 180K on my credit, because the way the economy is the co-owner is unable to refinance. He also mentioned that I would have all rights to continue to check on the loan. This does not seem fair to me. Does Doing a quit claim still hold me responsible for the loan? Can some one please give me more information on quit claims and how they might work with mortgages and what it is exactly? Because if it's relieving me of debt to co-owner than I don't need it because I owe her nothing since my half of property is rented by her family member and all the money I put into it I will never get back. Do I have to sign this quit deed claim?

Thank you very much
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 12:08 AM
    I certainly would not sign it unless advised to do so by my lawyer. Even if you must pay a couple of hundred dollars or so for advice on this it would be well worth it to you. Many people are subject to scams with quick deeds. Real Estate laws vary by state and you really need a professional to guide you on this.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 08:06 AM
    DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING!!

Transferring your property ownership by quit claim deed to your co-owner means that you will no longer have any ownership interest but you will still be responsible for paying back the loan. If your co-owner doesn't pay it then you will have to pay it.

Get an attorney asap.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Yes, Lisa is on the nail here, you are "giving" her any and all rights to your ownership of the property but will still be held liable by the loan company, unless they will re-finance to get a loan in just there name, that would be against your best interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my question - what are the pros/cons of a quit claim or interspousal transfer. My husband and I are separating and the only item we are together on is the house. I am staying in house he is moving out of state. Friends have suggested he transfer the house to me (which he stated he will)....

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

In settlement proceedings with my x-wife, I agreed to sign a quit claim deed, leaving the marital home to her. In mediation she agreed to accept the debts and emcumbrances on the home. The divorce decree states that the quit claim deed was to be placed with my attorney until she obtained a loan...

Quit Claim or Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Quit Claim and a Quick Claim? Also, the last year of my mothers life she was very ill and lived with me, she signed her house over to me . Now I am going to sell it, do I have to pay taxes on the money I receive? I have heard if you are over a certain age you do not...

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I've filled out Quit Claim form. Now, I need to get it notarized. Where do you go to get it notarized? I live Oak Lawn Illinois, cook county.

View more questions Search