Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dzaerpoor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Electrical Issue in Garage.Don't know how to word it.
    Hi this is my first post here and I'm looking for somesort of solution from any of you. Today my sister was mowing the lawn and we use an electrical one (connects with power cable to outlet). We connect it to a power outlet in the wall in the garage. Today she ran over the pwer cable while mowing the lawn and something happened. I know next to nothing about electronics so I have no idea what happened, but now the garage door opener won't work. It just shut off so the light doesn't even turn on and the sensors near the actual door have no lights on them. The lights in the garage still work (seperate from garage door) And the sprinkler system screen works but it says the system is shut off. I tried flipping the switches in the breaker box but I'm not exactly sure what this does. (I flip it and flip it back which normally works for other problems.) Is this some sort of fuse problem? How would I go about fixing this? Can I do it myself or would it be safer to have an electrician do it? Please describe in detail or link me to a website that does. Thanks for taking the time to help.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2008, 10:56 PM
    Check the outlets in your garage and see if one has a pair of red and black push buttons. This is a ground fault circuit interrupter. Push the red button to test and the black button to reset.

Please keep us posted.
    dzaerpoor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Thanks you so much for your help, it worked great! Hopefully the lawn mover still works though, ill check tomarrow. Could you describe in simple terms what this did electrically to solve the problem?
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2008, 11:52 PM
    Any time there is a short or ground fault, the interrupter acts like a breaker. They are generally used in circuits where extra protection is desired like bathrooms, kitchens and garages. If you were to get shocked or electrocuted, the breaker is supposed to kill the electricity. In theory it would keep someone from being killed. I wouldn't want to test it by that method though.

I am glad it worked OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical service to detached garage [ 6 Answers ]

I am building a detached garage and have installed a 125 amp panel. I plan to install the service disconnect by the meter base. What size wire do I run from the service disconnect to the panel in the garage. The distance is about 125 feet. I have been told that I could use 2-2-4-6 aluminum, but...

Electrical issue [ 2 Answers ]

My heater trips the main breaker. If I dial back the temp everything else works. As I increase the temp setting the breaker goes. This just started , tub has been OK previous to now.

Electrical wiring to my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I'd like to replace a pair of overhead electrical wires (120 volt - 2 wires) that run from my house to my garage, about 25 feet. I just happen to have a roll of wire, size 14-3 with ground type UF (underground feeder) Rather than dig up my lawn, garden and bury the cable, I'd like to simply...

Garage Door issue [ 1 Answers ]

One of my garage doors will only open if I push and hold down the opener button. I suspect a relay latching problem. Any ideas. Littlekyd

Garage electrical feed [ 1 Answers ]

Recently had an electrical contractor come in and upgrade the old 70 amp service to house. He put in a new Federal Pioneer 60 Amp Main on a 24 circuit panel explaining that is all we would probably need due to the demands we have and may possibly have in the future. I still have 5 empty circuits...

View more questions Search