Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clueless1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 12:37 AM
    Furnace squeals but then stops
    The past several months my forced air furnace would all of a sudden start making this high pitched chirping sound and then get even louder throughout the night. When we would shut it off it would squeal until it shut off completely making us think it was a belt. We had used wd-40 and it seems to help a little but not completely. We have had repair men come out several times and every time they do the squealing stops and they can't detect where it is coming from. Also, the filter's clog up less then a month and we have already had to replace two ignitors in the past 3 months. What could be causing all this?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 04:07 AM
    You should never use a lubricant on a belt. That belt is designed to grip, not to slide.

It could be the belt, but also could be the sheet metal of the furnace itself... or the squirrel cage if you have one.

The only real way to narrow it down is to get to it when you hear it. Put your ear all round it to see if you can narrow it down.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Cleaning the ducts might help the filters plugging. Also think about what could be causing extra dust. When you change the filters, can you recognized anything on them?

Belt driven blowers are notorious trouble makers. Most newer furnaces have gone to direct drive. Examine the belt if you have one. If it is smooth and shiny, it is glazed and needs replaced. Make sure the new one if fairly tight. Some rely on the weight of the motor to keep the belt tight. Make sure it is free to pull the belt tight.

If it is not a belt drive, post back and I will have some other ideas.

Some are quick to say call a professional. On the other hand, I see many questions like yours where it didn't work. It may take a while, but you should be able to find the problem.
    Clueless1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 08:55 AM
    On my fourth call to a heating and cooling place they first told me to spray a lubricant on it. But thanks for letting me know not to do that. The technicicans have also said, it could be off balance at times but they have never done anything because it always stops before they get here.

I have tried to listen but it's hard since after the furnace was installed they repaired the wall and if anything has to be changed... the wall will have to be taken out to do so. And there isn't much room to see anything. I did check out the belt but that doesn't seem to be where the noise is coming from.

The filter's are just filled with massive dust, not much else.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Are the motor and blower mounted solidly or are they free to shift, and rub on something? You might even be see scraped places where things were rubbing. If so tighten or replace the screws that hold it.
    sizl37 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 09:17 AM
    Have a goodman furnace that chatters. On the inducer motor there is a squirrel cage with a small fan. The fan keeps warping and hits the cage. Have had the motor replaced 2 times but it still keeps doing the same thing. The last time it got so bad it completely locked up the motor. Still trying to find someone that can remedy this problem. Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My skateboard justs stops... [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering if anyone could at least explain to me how to keep going while you are skateboarding? I mean I am a good skateboarder, and I'll be skating then I slow down and my skateboard won't go any further. I keep pushing but it won't go!! Help me please!! :p

Power to furnace control board but stops there [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was given a Nordyne KG6RA gas furnace. After installing, I turned on and there was a low hum when the power got to it. I held the door switch closed so I could see. After a few seconds there was a spark and then blue smoke and everything went dead. I could not see where the smoke came...

Well water stops then goes [ 5 Answers ]

When I turn on my water it starts to come out then no water then the water comes out slow till it reaches full pressure I changed the pressure switch my other one was bad now I have this problem could it be a bad pressure switch (I got it at home depot) or could it be the air in the tank what...

MTD Mower stops [ 3 Answers ]

The transmission drive belt keeps coming off my MTD Yardman Lawn Tractor--I called customer service--of course they told me to take it to an authorized dealer--yeah, right--anyone else having that problem --or have a suggestion?

Sloan Valve Stops [ 3 Answers ]

I changed a couple of sloan valves on toilets at my church Friday night. Not a bad job and cuts the cost considerably. Simply shut the water off, open the tp and pull out the insides and drop in a new A-38-A Retro water saver kit. Both of the old ones had considerable hard, mineral deposits on...

View more questions Search