Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shellyjene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Inheritance/gift tax
    We live in California and my mother in law lives in Canada. She is giving us $78,000, (she is still alive) and we will lose a certain amount because of the currency exchange but my question is what taxes if any will we have to pay... federal? State? What can we do to minimize any taxes?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 09:38 PM
    The receiver of the gift does not pay any federal income tax in the U.S. and also there is no CA tax.
    Only if your mother in law is a U.S. citizen or resident, then she must file gift tax return, even she may not owe any gift tax.
    Read this
    Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance or Gift - Taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-husbands parents wrote us a letter in their Christmas card in 1988, stating they bought a bond for our son that will mature in 2008. They estimated that when it came to full term, (now), it would be about $15K -20K. This letter said the bond was intended as a Christmas present for his...

Gift tax [ 1 Answers ]

How much gift tax will I have to pay if I give my daughter $100,000?

Inheritance or Gift and do I report it [ 16 Answers ]

My father died in 2001 and did not have a chance to revise his will, so my sister and my mother were the only ones on it. The will was dated from before I was born and by the time he died my mother and him were divorced. We agreed to split everything between my sister and I. We sold the condo...

Is this an OK gift? [ 8 Answers ]

My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and...

Gift for the nun who has everything... [ 8 Answers ]

I wasn't sure whether to put this topic in etiquette or religion, but I thought in religion people might know more about nuns, so... One of the Sisters who taught at my boarding school had cancer and beat it! I was just invited to a party to celebrate. I was not asked to bring a gift, but this...

View more questions Search