Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c0r1nne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 08:54 PM
    How do I match wiring when replacing a programmable thermostat?
    Had to replace the programmable thermostat. Instructions weren't clear to me as far as what jumper settings of on or off looked like.
    • Does "on" indicate placing the plastic piece over the jumper posts?

I have 5 wires, White, Yellow, Red (which was connected to RH, then had a piece of wire connecting RC to RH), Green and Blue. The blue one wasn't connected to the old thermostat.
    I have Gas forced Air with heat and a separate AC unit that runs through the same vent system.
    Thanks for any help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 11:31 PM
    What thermostat?
    You did not tell us anything about the thermostat. Model/Name brand or should I get out my crystal ball and look around? LOL
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 01:16 AM
    Generally speaking, white is used as a common wire, green for fan, red for hot wire (hence the jumper between heat Rh and cool Rc), yellow for the condenser. On a combination unit like yours, I spliced the R to the condenser, bypassing the heat control board. This is done at the heater and not the t-stat. You will probably need to trace all the wires to get it wired in correctly. Maybe the manufacturer has an on-line tech support

I did not use the blue wire.

Incorrect wiring can damage the components. If you aren't sure, a tech might be the best way to go, unless hvac can walk you through it.

Good luck

Jun 29, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Sorry, new to the site. I went from an Indiglo 3599 to Ritetemp 6036.

Jun 29, 2008, 10:56 PM
    Connect all wires exactly as before. You do not need to connect the blue.

Jun 30, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Yep, that's what I did. Turns out there was a blown fuse on the furnace, coincidentally. Once that was replaced, all was well.
    Thanks.

Jun 30, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Probably blew the fuse when wiring the stat. Glad you got it working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing old honeywell thermostat with new programmable [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of replacing an old honeywell thermostat (Q539A1014) that was installed by a HVAC prof. about two years ago. We wanted to upgrade to a programmable thermostat. We purchased a RTH6300B Honeywell. I was told by the home improvement store this was compatible and...

Replacing Analog Thermostat with Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing Analog thermostat with White, Yellow, Red, & Black wiring with non-programmable digital thermostat Model #RTH3100C. Please help!!

Wiring my programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

HELP... I recently had an issue with the fan on my HVAC system constantly blowing. I assume I had a defective thermostat. When reinstalling a new thermostat I can get either heat or air not both. I wire the white to white green to green yellow to yellow red to RH and blue to RC. On my...

Wiring a programmable thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I've purchased a Honeywell programmable thermostat for electric baseboard heat - model RLV430A. There are 2 black wires on the back of the new thermostat. The wiring instructions say "The thermostat wires are not polarized; either wire can be connected to the load or to the power supply". There...

Replacing a old thermostat with a new one, wires don't match up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there We were lucky enough to get a Lowe's gift card for christmas so today we went and bought a programmable thermostat. Our old one is from when the house was first built I think (so at least 20 years old).. new one is a Hunter 44550 old thermostat seems to be no name brand.. ...

View more questions Search