Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackie D Star Posts: 72, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2008, 07:07 PM
    How do you get Into Journalism.
    First of all, Hello. My name is Jack and I am 12. When I am older I would like to be a Sports Journalist ( Soccer) I think I have what it takes and I have a very broad knowledge of Soccer. But I am not to sure about how to get into the industry.. This year in yr 7 I just got my report and noticed my grades a failing... And I think that is because of I am not interested in anything @ school accept sport/art. I also would not mind being a photographer and these both fall into the category of Media, so what I am asking is how to get into then industry.

Thanks Jack.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2008, 07:27 PM
    From what I have read of your posts you do sound very talented.
    You need to keep up your grades though even if you are not interested in the subject.
    Write articles see if you can get them published so that people recognize your stuff.
    Take pictures and work on writing and photography.
    I am not sure what you have to do to get into it but maybe talking to local sports announcers, radio stations and TV stations wouldn't hurt.
    Maybe compile a book on soccer over the past decade or the history or highlights
    Keep writing, taking pictures doing your art and getting your name known.

Basically start getting a good portfolio together of all your work and keep building on it.

Jun 28, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Yeah, Thanks n0.

Jun 29, 2008, 05:10 PM
    ;)
    kolkay Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Hey, I'm a journalism student in college, and have wanted to be in the field since middle school. It's good you know what you want to do, and as someone said in an earlier post, try to do as much writing as you can, whether your school has a paper now or you can freelance for a magazine. One thing you might want to look into is job shadowing. A lot of newspapers are willing to help people see what a reporter really does, and if you can a couple papers nearby, you may be able to spend some time with one.

Something you must do if you are serious about reporting is work on your high school paper. This may be an exception if it is pretty small school, but if not, it will be great experience. When/if you go to college and want to work for that newspaper, it will show your experience. Also maintain good relationships with any teachers/professors who know of your writing and talent. I'm an editor at my college paper so I've sat through many interviews.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck to you though!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best place for journalism [ 2 Answers ]

Where's the best place to become a journalist? (besides New York)

View more questions Search