Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rutledge5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Need to replace toilet, rough-in 20" from the wall, toilet has four mounting holes
    In a nutshell, we need to replace our existing toilet. However, the toilet has a rough-in of about 20"+ to the closet flange and the toilet has four mounting holes on the base. The toilet is connected to the closet flange via the front two holes (and nothing in the back two holes). I bought the new toilet today and noticed that it only had two mounting holes, which is designed for a 12" rough-in.

Does anyone know of any toilets that have four mounting holes? What should we do in this case?

Thanks for your help on this!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Hey Rutledge:

Lift the toilet that you have there now... I am confident that you will find that the back holes line up just fine with the pipe in the floor! The front screws also secure the toilet to the floor (screw bolts that unscrew).

Most likely you will find that you have a 14" or 15" measure from finished wall (not from baseboard) to the center of the pipe in the floor.

Measure from finished wall to center of pipe... what do you have (again, bet it's around 14-15")?

Then you will most likely need to purchase a 14" rough in toilet... will work best in this case.

Like I said, lift your toilet and confirm what I just mentioned.. ok? Then let us know what you measured. Expect the 14" rough in toilet which is more expensive than a 12" rough in toilet... let us know...

MARK

rutledge5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 07:41 AM
    MASSPLUMBER2008... YOU ARE THE MAN!

Just what you said was going on! It turned out that the closet flange was 14" from the back wall and that the other two bolts were simply there to hold the puppy down. I went in the basement and found that when this toilet was installed (Trylon, Manufactured in 1948), they didn't use the bolts on the closet flange to secure it to the floor. The added two bolts in the floor and used the front two holes to the front of the toilet... instead of the two holes provided with the closet flange.

Never would have known it if you didn't clue me in to it! THANKS!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Glad to help here Rutledge... ;)

I would recommend Kohler toilets, or even better, TOTO toilets. They are a bit pricey, but great flushing toilet!

Good luck... drop back anytime...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet drain 14" from wall :( [ 4 Answers ]

Am tackling putting in a bathroom in the basement. Walls are already up, but I noticed now that the center of the drain for the toilet is around 14" from the studs (drywall yet to go on). Is a seemingly simple installation now going to be a more major undertaking? I'm relatively new at this and...

10" rough in Handicap toilet [ 7 Answers ]

I want to replace an old toilet with a handicap model but the old toilet has a 10" rough in and the new ones all seem to be 12". Does anyone make a handicap toilet that will fit a 10" rough in? Thanks

Need a ROUND 14" rough toilet that is 16' high. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in an old house. Need a ROUND 14" rough toilet that is 16' high. Thanks, aow

Toilet tank 4" from wall [ 1 Answers ]

My contractor recently installed basement toilet I just bought. It looks like the tank is 4 inches from the wall. From your site I measured the roughin dimension and it looks like it is close to 13 and 1/2 inches and I bought a toilet with a 10 inch rough-in. Do I simply need to replace with a 12...

Mounting new toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling our bathroom. For the floors I will be using Hardy Backer cement board, 1/4" thick. On top of that I will be laying ceramic tile. My question is this; When installing the new toilet, do I leave the toilet mounting ring as it is now, or do I remove it and reinstall on TOP of the...

View more questions Search