Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Jun 28, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Growing tomatoes in pots outside?
    We started with tomato plants in pots on the concrete patio. We kept them well-watered. One plant had leaves to start curling just a bit around the bottom. The variety for this plant is "Big Boy."

I became concerned the sun-heated patio and the exposed sides of the pots in lots and lots of Southern sun were resulting in roots and the pot soil's becoming too warm.

I buried the pots in the yard to allow for cooler pot soil and roots. I kept the plants in the pots to conserve and concentrate the watering around each plant rather than have it seep outward from them.

One plant of another variety has about nineteen tomatoes developing. That plant is a bit darker green, and I'm thinking it may have gotten more fertilizer early on. The other plants are a healthy green but not as dark. Some other plants have begun to develop small tomatoes.

But this one plant still has somewhat curled leaves around its bottom of foilage and is not producing. I recall that this one got some top roots exposed a bit, I think due to watering, before I recently put mulch around the bases of the plants.

My theory is that there was some root "baking" early on and that this one plant has not fully recovered from that.

What are your thoughts? And what about the idea of buried pots as a method of growing garden plants for concentrating the fertilizer and water?

Thanks.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Hmmm, I've never tried burying pots, so you'll have to let me know how they do. The idea seems sound. As far as the different greens, some types of tomato plants are just greener than others. Do you have just one "Big Boy?"
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 12:32 AM
    I too, am intrigued. The only pots I have buried have been Pressed peat starter pots that break down in the soil. The only possible problem I see is that water tends to flow to the edges of the pot and draw away from the center. Please keep us posted.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 01:30 AM
    Unless it is a big pot, seems as though it will restrict good root growth. May have a problem reaching the trace mineral salts in the soil that make for a really healthy plant. If there is not sufficient drainage, may cause problems also. Tomatoes need really good drainage and they hate wet feet after dark.
    Sounds as though your original problem was because of the roots getting too hot.
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Oct 17, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Now, after the season, I am not really sold on growing tomatoes in pots. Most of the plants produced, one really well, but I plan to try the old-fashioned method next year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Any tricks for growing Sweet Beefsteak Tomatoes? [ 2 Answers ]

I am growing Beefsteak Tomatoes for the very first time this year. :o I have about twelve seedlings now about 2" tall. Can anyone tell me the next step for transplanting and "staking"? I am a real beginner any help will be appreciated. I live in Florida. Thank you! Dawn

Question about non-stick Teflon pots/pans [ 6 Answers ]

I think the non-stick stuff is called Teflon, right? Anyway, I was wondering about how long you can use a non-stick pot before it needs to be disposed of and replaced? I have 2 large non stick pots and one of them which is less frequently used is still dark black and smooth inside. The other...

Painting clay pots [ 6 Answers ]

Can I paint a clay pot with a plant growing in it? If so-with what type of paint?

View more questions Search