Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CALICAT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 03:27 PM
    I believe that the salt goes in the small holes because S is finer and requires smaller holes than pepper which is course and could get stuck if the holes aren't large enough . If the holes are the same size just more of them, then I think it's a matter of taste... What do you prefer more of.. salt or pepper..
    mysticque Posts: 95, Reputation: -7
    -

Sep 15, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    I had always thought this was a no-brainer until my gf and I purchased a new set. The dark shaker, which I assumed was meant for pepper, had less holes than the lighter shaker, which I assumed was for the salt. I found this very odd!! I pointed it out to a lifetime friend of mine that we had over for dinner the other night.

He replied that the salt shaker was SUPPOSED to have more holes!?!? At first, I figured he was joking... but he wasnt! I was baffled by this!

I did a little research online and have found that there is actually quite a controvery over this!

I think that salt should have less holes. Too much salt is bad for you. I never put more salt on anything than I do pepper.

What do you think?
    :p well you are definitely right on that health conscious wise.
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Sep 15, 2006, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbear
    My mother always filled some of the holes in the salt shaker with super glue, to cut down on my father's salt consumption.

Absolutely love the idea! I'll keep that in mind.:p
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Sep 15, 2006, 07:44 AM
    I was brought up with salt being in the shaker with the lesser holes and pepper with more holes. For the mere fact that the pepper we use is "thicker." (Couldn't think of a better way of saying) Sorry not too experienced in "Pepper" etiquette. ;)
    kbader Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 03:10 AM
    I have two stainless steel salt and pepper shakers. One has three (3) holes, the middle being the largest, and the other has eight (8)holes. I wanted to find an answer on the internet so of course I went to Google. I agree with Dr. J. The salt should go in the shaker with less holes, not just for health reasons, but it pours out much quicker than pepper. You normally need to shake pepper out of a shaker, whereas with salt, it just comes out quickly. Pepper should definetely go into the shaker with the most holes.
    Cookery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Not that this is a heavy issue! But folks, traditionally the pepper shaker has fewer holes and the salt shaker has more holes. The way I've always remembered it is this -- if you were to dispense equal amounts of spices onto food (eg - 1/8 tsp of each onto a goulash serving), the salt might make your goulash too salty, but that same amount of pepper would make your goulash inedibly spicy (for most people.) So... for the same stroke of both shakers, we'd generally want the salt shaker to dispense more than the pepper shaker. Said another way, you're going to want less pepper on your food than salt. So smaller holes on the pepper shaker. And for all those folks who (quite correctly) claim that sodium intake is a concern... true, but the holes-in-the-shaker convention was established long before the health-minded low-sodium fitness convention was established. Ta.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ice/Salt = FrostBite? [ 18 Answers ]

I understand that when you pour salt on your upper fore arm, then apply (with pressure) a common ice cube for period of 1-3 min frostbite will occur. The amount of salt and the length of time play key factors in the severity of the so called... Reaction. I guess my question is how do you treat the...

Salt shakers: Why glass? [ 3 Answers ]

There is just that scratching-on-the-board feel when I screw the metal cap back onto the glass shaker. Also, it will break if I happen to drop it. What is behind the glass factor? Lets say, why not plastic? It's cheaper to make and doesn't break. Does it have to do with taste? I don't...

View more questions Search