Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Jun 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Unknown plant.
    I know this picture is not very good, but I was wondering if anyone can identify what this plant is (circled). The ladies at my job found it in the garden. I haven't seen the flowers, but they said they are a beautiful blue color. I did see, though, that they get a puff of seeds, a lot like a dandelion gets, when the petals of the flower dies off. And the heads look like a dandelion head, there are long flowing leaves on the stems, but they are hard to see with this picture. And each head has a single stem, like a dandelion has.

Thanks.

Daisy
    Attached Images

sokay Posts: 142, Reputation: 14

Jun 28, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Hard to tell from here, but it looks a bit like a day lily. Do those blooms open up to yellow flowers? My daylilys acted kind of like large dandelions. After the blooms, they become large white puffy things and they spread easily. I dug mine up and tossed them.

Jun 28, 2008, 02:17 PM
    I don't think they are daylilies, but I haven't seen the flowers. They all are open at the top where the flower comes out, like a dandelion, but if you look at a pic of a lily, they are closed. I was told they are blue, though, not yellow. They look like weeds in a garden, which I told them they probably are, but they still want to know.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Can you gve us another picture with good focus on the shape of the leaves?

Jun 28, 2008, 02:33 PM
    I'll try.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Maybe Bachelors Buttons PlantFiles: Detailed information on Bachelor's Button, Cornflower Centaurea cyanus

Jun 28, 2008, 04:55 PM
    That looks like a good possibility. I'll have to print a picture for them. Thanks

Jun 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
    As requested, I took two more pictures. One is before the flower opens, and the other is of after it's gone and when the fuzzies are there. I still didn't see a flower. I know they aren't good, but I am still working with just a camera phone here.
    Attached Images

sokay Posts: 142, Reputation: 14

Jun 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Not bad for a camera phone. Hmm those fuzzies look a lot like my day lilies did after they'd bloomed. But of course your blooms are blue and different so that's not it.. but I wonder if they're related? I wonder if they're related to dandelions too.

You'll have to take a photo when they're bloomed and see if they look like bachelor buttons.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Could this be it?It is purple in color though.
    http://www.arthurleej.com/images/Tragopogon.jpg

Purple Salsify - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jun 29, 2008, 02:54 PM
    If I ever see it with a flower (I'm not in that section of the building to often, though) then I will definitely take a picture of it.

That purple salsify plant sure does look exactly like the one at my work. Thanks. I'll show them the picture of it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:24 AM
    It is a cornflower (cornflower blue) and yes it is a weed.
    appleman67 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 02:42 PM
    It's called a Goatsbeard or Salsify. They can have either yellow or purplish flowers and the seeds look like they are from a giant dandelion and they have a milky sap like a dandelion also. They are basically a large noxious weed.

Salsify - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Botanic Gardens Trust - Tragopogon porrifolium

I'm a Landscape Architect
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Apple, all depends on what part of the world you come from. In my part, which is eastern Ontario, it is called a cornflower.
    appleman67 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    apple, all depends on what part of the world you come from. In my part, which is eastern Ontario, it is called a cornflower.
    Tickle,

Cornflower is one of the common names for a Bachelor Button (Centaurea cyanus). Although they come from the same family (Asteraceae), that is as close as they come.

The Salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius) is very different from a Cornflower or Bachelor Button (Centaurea cyanus). They are about as closely related as the Lemur and Humans (both Primates).
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 03:35 PM
    I have those weeds at my house... they look like dandelions gone wild.
    lisa707 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
    The picture of the flower looks like one of those "wishes" that the dandelions turn into.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 24, 2008, 01:00 PM
    In Texas we "yank" them there weeds!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name my plant? [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a plant from ikea a few years ago, but I have no idea what it is. If it is what I suspect I want to use it for my cooking, but don't want to risk it. I took it my garden centre but the spotty 16 yr old didn't have a clue! It is potted inside, lived on my kitchen window sill,...

What Plant Is It? [ 3 Answers ]

I´m trying to remember what the plant is called that is traditionally hung over doorways at Christmas time and that couples must kiss under when they pass through. Can you help me?

ID this plant [ 4 Answers ]

Please identify this plant: curly leaves http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/496222110_2080669081_o.jpg

What should I plant . [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a...

View more questions Search