Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuppagogo Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Theft. Police keep calling me.
    This is in Canada.

I worked in one of the liquor store, and badly got set up by the manager. My last week of work, the other worker didn't show up, I was working by myself. Then, the manager called me and asked me to prepare a list of alcohol for her. Due to she cannot come to pick up before the store close, so she ordered me to leave it on the back door next to the garbage. And I did it.

We actually have little conflict, because I cut down my hours and found the other job then I give my 2 wekes notice and quit. She wasn't happy about it, but other job pay better money. Now, two months later, a police officer called me and want to meet me in person face to face to discuss this isseu, because she reported that I was stealing and recorded on tape.

I talk to an advisor, he told me that I have no obligation to provide any information or meet the police officer in person. I am still a freeman unless a warren is issued to arrest me. Once I meet the officer, then he will arrest me. Then I will need a lawyer to flight in the court.

What should I do now? How should I know if I am in trouble by now? I work very well on my new job, if I keep avoiding the police's phone call. Will he come to arrest me in my new work place?

All the evident is pointed to me. If I meet the officer, I will get arrest for sure according to my advisor. What do I have to do now?

If I lose the case, what purnishment am I going to get?

How can I proof if I am not guity?

I cannot affored to hire a lawyer... :(
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Hello cup:

If they're going to arrest you, they are whether you come in for an interview or not. I don't know Canadian law, but apparently you don't have to talk to them. I wouldn't. You don't have to prove you're not guilty. THEY have to prove you are. Again, I don't know about Canada. But, if you were in the US, they'd probably appoint you a lawyer at no charge.

excon

Jun 28, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Hmm... thank you. So, am I a criminal now? Why the police officer needs to talk to me instead of issue a warrant to arrest me? I am scare, I don't want in the middle of sleeping at home or in the middle of working got arrested... how do I know if I am a criminal or not by now?

Thanks for the info, excon.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 05:39 PM
    You are a criminal if you did a criminal act.? A manager if he is not the owner does not have the right to take things without paying, so you helped the manager steal and the manager is giving you all the blame.

Not having enough sense to not bag up things and place outside means you are guilty of being, well less smart.

Also I doubt if they have you on film, you ca not afford not to get an attorney. But no I would not talk to the police without an attorney, at least in the US, police can lie to get you to confess. And often anything you say will be used against you.

If you say, yes I bagged up the bottles and yes I set them out in the trash, BUT... they don't care about the but, you just confessed to the crime.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2008, 05:47 PM
    If they had proof that you committed a crime, you would already have been arrested. All the cops want to do now is have you make statements so they can catch you in a lie. Then they threaten you into confessing to a lesser charge to clear the case. I do not talk to police officers for any reason any more. Since I don't drive now, I don't even have to show a driver's license. Do what you want, but no one ever got in trouble for NOT talking to a cop. Police are NOT your friend. They are there only to make their pension as easily as possible. I sure wouldn't talk to them at all. If arrested demand an attorney immediately, before questioning.

Jun 28, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Thank you for everyone.

Is there a chance the police officer still can come to my house or my new work place to arrest me anytime? I just wonder if I move, change my number, and change another new work place. Is it against the law of hiding from the police? Still, they haven't arrested me yet, my advisor told me that I can do whatever I want... move to other province (states) and change phone number? Do you guys think is it a good idea for me?

Thanks for advanced.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2008, 11:26 PM
    If you aren't charged and don't want to deal with this, moving might be a good idea. Depending on how much was taken and what evidence they have would depend on how hard they look for you. But if they want you, you will be found. But if you move get as far out of jurisdiction that you can. If you can leave the county even better. If they do come after you, you still should stay silent.

Jun 30, 2008, 08:00 AM
    How do I know if I am charged?

The police officer keep calling me about 3 times a day everyday (all the private numbers are from them). I didn't answer any phone from them. The police officer didn't leave any message at all. Am I still a free man?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Your questions have been answered. If you are not in jail then you are free. If a warrant is issued for your arrest the police can arrest you anywhere they find you.

So the likelihood is a warrant has NOT been issued yet.

What I would recommend is that you get an attorney (Canada does have a legal aid agency) and you and your attorney go to the police station together. You make NO statement, answer NO questions without talking to your attorney. Its possible that they only want to question you to make a case against the manager. But its also possible they want to get a statement from you they can use against you.

But dodging the police and not answering their calls is not going to look good for you. You are better off getting legal representation and volunteering to answer questions WITH your attorney present.

Jun 30, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Thank you everybody. :)

Aug 9, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Theft :: Should i reply to police?
    I was receiving numerous calls from a police officer about a theft. I have been asking around, some lawyer said that I have no obligation to answer any questions. And I have my right to change my phone number.

Now the police office sent me an email... should I reply her? Or am I going to get into trouble if I don't reply her?

Somehow she got my resume, she also called my references to ask about my address. Hmm... She wrote this email to me is probably want to find me and arrest me? Right?

================================================== =======
    ========== here is the email she sent to me =========================

I need to speak with you by phone at your earliest convenience. You may phone me at the office at . In the meantime you can reply by email with your current phone numbers including cell phone, home address and place of employment. I also require your Driver's Licence # and your birth date.

I understand that you are not eager to respond to me as you are possibly nervous to do so, but just be aware that at this time my request is only to speak with you regarding some allegations of theft that are against you and to hear your side of the story.

If you choose to evade me, I will instead be forced to simply put a warrant out for your arrest regarding this theft without you having had a chance to defend yourself. Obviously it would be better for you to speak with me before it goes that far. Just for your information, if a warrant is put out, at the next time that you have contact with a police officer you would be arrested on that charge and processed at that time. Naturally this can be extremely inconvenient to you as it is typically during a traffic stop or something of that sort and can of course impede on any personal plans you have at the time and can take a lengthy period to process.

I hope that you can see why it is better for yourself and more efficient for us both to have you contact me by phone, and have a discussion about this.

I look forward to hearing from you,

================================================== ======
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 03:50 PM
    You can not just avoid this or they can get you in more serious trouble. You probably should tell them you want to consult a lawyer and/or have a lawyer present but you can not evade this. Evading it can make you look guilty and possibly get you more charges. In the meantime if you are not guilty and somebody else did whatever it could make it more difficult for them to find the right person the more time that goes by.
    Throwback24 Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Aug 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
    You can only incriminate yourself by talking to them without a lawyer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppagogo
    I was receiving numerous calls from a police officer about a theft. I have been asking around, some lawyer said that i have no obligation to answer any questions. and i have my right to change my phone number.

Now the police office sent me an email... should i reply her? or am i going to get into trouble if i don't reply her?

Somehow she got my resume, she also called my references to ask about my address. Hmm... She wrote this email to me is probably want to find me and arrest me? right?

================================================== =======
    ========== here is the email she sent to me =========================

This is Cst. McKinley #4259 of the Calgary Police Service.

I need to speak with you by phone at your earliest convenience. You may phone me at the office at 403-567-6700. In the meantime you can reply by email with your current phone numbers including cell phone, home address and place of employment. I also require your Driver’s Licence # and your birth date.

I understand that you are not eager to respond to me as you are possibly nervous to do so, but just be aware that at this time my request is only to speak with you regarding some allegations of theft that are against you and to hear your side of the story.

If you choose to evade me, I will instead be forced to simply put a warrant out for your arrest regarding this theft without you having had a chance to defend yourself. Obviously it would be better for you to speak with me before it goes that far. Just for your information, if a warrant is put out, at the next time that you have contact with a police officer you would be arrested on that charge and processed at that time. Naturally this can be extremely inconvenient to you as it is typically during a traffic stop or something of that sort and can of course impede on any personal plans you have at the time and can take a lengthy period of time to process.

I hope that you can see why it is better for yourself and more efficient for us both to have you contact me by phone, and have a discussion about this.

I look forward to hearing from you,

================================================== ======

She pretty much sets it out - talk to her or she will get a warrant. I wouldn't talk to her without an Attorney present.

I would presume you know what this is about or else you would respond to find out what it's about - ?
    Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 08:35 PM
    You know somehow this does not sound right, police sending a email, and wanting all for that ID info, the police will already know her drivers license number if they know her name, if they have her DL number they will know the address listed on that. If that is correct.

And threating to do a warrant in a email if they don't contact them?

But anyway, there is no requirement that you provide them any info or talk to them,

But something about this just does not sound like the real police sending the email??
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Yeah it does sound strange like how would they even know your email yet not your drivers license. I would call the phone number and see if they answer [such and such] police station, then I would go to the station to find out what is up but tell them you are not answering anything without a lawyer. Do not provide ANY information through the internet or the phone.
    Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 08:44 PM
    No, I would not even call the number they provided, could be a prepaid cell that they set up to answer like the police dept. I would call the police department out of the phone book and talk to them
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 08:47 PM
    I just looked the number up
    Calgary Police Service - About the CPS

District 8 Office
    (403) 567-6800
    450 Midpark Way S.E.
    T2X 3S4
    calgary police station
    Tralyn Posts: 230, Reputation: 17

Aug 9, 2008, 08:50 PM
    You could call the police department and validate the request and let them know you are waiting to have your lawyer present!!
    Tralyn Posts: 230, Reputation: 17

Aug 9, 2008, 08:51 PM
    No matter what the circumstances talk to your lawyer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marie, I hear you calling, Marie the night is falling,Marie will you keep calling me [ 2 Answers ]

"Marie, I hear you calling, Marie the night is falling, Marie will you keep calling me" Every time the word"calling" is sung, it's held and rises. Any hints re anything? Title, artist, lyrics? Probably early 1950s.

Theft diversion and a police clearance? [ 4 Answers ]

Last October I was caught for stealing at Walmart and I went through the whole fingerprinting and court ordeal. I was accepted for diversion and I paid my fine. Now I am applying for a job that needs a police clearance. Will my diversion show up on this or the fact that I was caught stealing even...

Should we go to the police? [ 25 Answers ]

Me and my friend have this friend and her boyfriend has been hitting her and he threatens her all the time and he even held a gun to her head at one point fallows her everywhere and has these freaky mind game type things and the other day he poked her in the eye and made her blind in one eye I mean...

Police brutality? [ 3 Answers ]

So, in my town, a friend was shot to death because, according to the paper, he had a psychiatric episode and threatened the cops with a 2-1/2-inch knife. They shot him in the chest sevel times. He dies 10 minutes later, begging for help. They shot him after two minutes of arguing. What do you think?

Calling police on spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Should I call the police on my spouse and file a report if he takes all the phones out of the house with out my consent??

View more questions Search