Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rayford Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Wireless gaming using a router?
    Okies. Here's the deal. I've got a Netgear WGR614 v6 that is currently b/g enabled. I've got a 360 and PS3 that are in another room than the router, that I'd like to connect wirelessly to the interwebs.

Now, yes, I know that Microsoft sells a wireless adapter for the 360 for $100. But what I'm hoping I can do, instead, is buy another Netgear router and have that act as a bridge or something for my gaming systems, that way I can save a bit of money. : P

So, now that I've bombarded you with a wall of text, here are my questions. 1) Is it possible to set a second router to do this? 2) How would I do that? Thanks much!

Also, I found these instructions on how to potentially set my current router as a WAP. But then I would need to purchase another wireless router, as well as a wired router. And at that point, my wife would go nuts with the amount of cabling going through the house. Is there any way to get the same result?
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jun 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
    To be totally honest with you, if you own your home, it might be cheaper to just run a cable from the one room into the room with your router. You can drill a hole at the base of your wall and feed it through if they're adjacent rooms, or you could feed the cable through your attic.

Other than that, as far as I'm aware, home wireless routers aren't really configured to use the wireless interface as the WAN connection. What you COULD do is buy a small wireless adapter that connects via Ethernet, plug that in to a switch on the uplink port, then plug your game consoles into the switch.

After all of that, though, it may just be cheaper to buy the adapter.
    rayford Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Ah. Then do you know if the Microsoft wireless adapter for the 360 works for the PS3 as well?
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jun 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
    I do not own a PS3, so I couldn't tell you for certain, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. The 360 adapter is USB based, so as long as there is a USB port on the PS3, it's worth a shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Wireless router [ 10 Answers ]

How hard is it to add a password to my wireless router? I have a blue coloured router with two antenna and it is made by dlink.

Best wireless router [ 5 Answers ]

Which wireless router is the best to buy, to hook computer on the net to a laptop?

Wireless dsl router [ 3 Answers ]

I'Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem and I would like to know which of these 2 wireless routers would be best for me to buy(a Netgear WRG614 wireless router or a 2Wire 2700HG wireless router?Which 1 is better anyway?

Wireless router [ 12 Answers ]

I'm having difficulty installing my wireless router Linksys WRT150 N. I can't get beyond the password screen even though it is already encrypted on the screen. Customer help couldn't help me and neither would comcast since it's not their product.

View more questions Search