Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miamibeachjohn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 06:18 PM
    My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane
    As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my insurance won't cover this. Please help, also is there a limitation on time as this happened several months ago?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2006, 06:26 PM
    I don't know... but if you don't find any answers, you can pay about $35 to get legal advice here:

www.legaladviceline.com 888-367-5252

It's a really great resource for VERY inexpensive legal advice.

(no, I don't work there lol)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2006, 06:40 PM
    I would think that their insurance would cover it.

Why not take them to court for the money they owe you?

There is a limit on time, but its valued in years, not a few months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2006, 06:48 PM
    If it is not being covered because they are saying this falls under the "act of God" or a specific clause that elimanates huricanes from coverage.

IE. For the same reason many people are not having their homes paid for.
    They would be saying that the damage is not really from the boat, but the boat hitting it is only a secondary factor to the actual hurricane doing the real damage.

You can try to sue the owner of the boat that did the damage, if you win in court, his insurance may or may not pay under the liability section but if it does not, and you win,you may be able to attach your neighbors bank account or garnish their pay

But the problem will be showing that something was done that a normal responsible person would have done that cuased the boat to come loose.

Now the problem comes proving to the court that the other boat owner is liable from some neglect. Also you will have to prove his boat, not the storm caused the damage to your boat and dock.

It is your only chance at getting paid

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name of movie with boat and mermaids/sirens in cold [ 1 Answers ]

People on a boat in a cold place mermaid/sirens (pale with black eyes and hair sharp teeth long nails) singing, men went into trance the only woman on the boat did not. It was very cold. Can't remember if it was a pirate movie or what.

Boat Motor-Not Started in 2 Years [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 40HP Yamaha motor on a Pontoon Boat and have not started it for 2 years. It has been sitting outside in the weather. What should I do before I put fresh gas/oil in can and crank it up. It has been sitting in my driveway unused this long. Please give me any suggestions as what I should...

Atlantic crosing in a small boat [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find a documentery of 3 men in a 23 ft boat that croused the atlantic back in 1957 or around there. It was on TV and I saw it but can't find it again. I have meny detales of the crosing and all that stuff but I may be in the wrong dept for this and no use putting in a lot of info for...

Hurricane [ 1 Answers ]

Who names these hurricanes, why most of them have hispanic names, I think the last one called john,rite?

What actor died on boat near Mexico ? [ 5 Answers ]

Back in the late 50's or early 60's there was a TV or movie actor that died aboard a private boat off the coast of Mexico. With him were three Mexican woman companions. I can't remember the name of the actor. Does anyone know with certainty who it was ?

View more questions Search