Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whatever2005 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Hiding programs
    How do I hide a program from the Add/Remove List in XP? Not sure which yet I want to hide, but like say MSN or IE or something similar. How would I reenable them to the list if it is even possible to remove them to start with? Thanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 21, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Any program that has been installed onto your hard drive, via normal installation methods, will appear on the add/remove list. This goes double for any micro$oft products (IE or MSN).
    Now the real question is why do you want to hide things from the add/remove menu?
    It is possible to disable access to the whole add/remove system, but this ISN'T advised

Mar 21, 2006, 03:50 PM
    I share a house with friends and someone thinks it's funny to uninstall some of my programs while I am out including MSN and BF2 so I keep having to install them all over again. It takes ages to reinstall games. Is there a way to stop people getting onto my sys while I am not at home? How do I make an admin thingy? Or is that disabling access thing easier? I'm sick of it completely and so I got curious as to how I can stop my friends messing about. When I turn on my comp it goes straight onto windows without any logins or anything. I don't know much about computers so I wanted to find a solution here. Thanks.
    BossMan

Mar 21, 2006, 03:54 PM
    You need to set a password on your user account.
    Make sure it's a strong one, that's 8+ characters, caps & small letters, numbers and specials (#!*&$)
    Start > Control panel > user accounts and follow the information there.

Mar 21, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Thank you very much. I was almost at the end of my tether because it has been going on weeks now and them falling to pieces laughing at me didn't help me either.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Of course if everyone is set as having admin rights then the password is useless, it'll only stop them from getting into your profile not from removing any and all installed programs.

Mar 21, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Oh. How do I combat this? I have no clue. How do I set up something which would not allow them to do this?
    BossMan

Mar 21, 2006, 04:16 PM
    If other people access this system than al you need to do is set them up with their own accounts with restricted rights.
    This is all dealt with in the user manager, detailed above.

Mar 21, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Excellent. Cheers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband not open and hiding things from me [ 24 Answers ]

Hello, I really need some urgent help and advice on how to handle this. My husband has always been loving and nice to me , but he does hide a lot of information from me and has been overly friendly, kind and gifting precious things to my governess who looks after my children. I confronted him...

My girlfriend has been lying to me (and hiding something from me)... [ 25 Answers ]

Ok, I am so lost and confused and need major help, as this is the most screwed up position I have EVER been in. Me and my girlfriend have been together for a couple of months now. Well, we decided to get a place together (I know.. possible mistake since we weren't together for too long... which I...

Must Have/Useful Programs [ 66 Answers ]

I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of useful programs that we could keep here. If a mod comes across this - could you sticky it please. It would be quite helpful. I'm bound to have missed some programs, so if there is some that you think should be on this list - post here or PM me...

8 months. Old cat, hiding [ 2 Answers ]

My family just purchased an 8 month old Maine Coon cat. He had been living in an apartment with 3 adults, his parents and 2 other cats. He now spends the day under my daughter's bed and at night when we're sleeping, eats and uses the litter box. He lets us pet him when he's under the bed and has...

View more questions Search