Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 11:23 PM
    My 3 year old has bad nail biting
    Hi,my daughter is 3 years and 4 mnths old.I have a few concerns with her that I posted one about how my daughter won't talk or play at daycare and has been like that for the past 8mnths,but at home she is a chatter box,also my daughter bites her nails really bad,when I got to sticky beek at her day care I find that when she is doing things such as drawing or painting she does it all but when she is outside she won't play and stands there and bites her nails, if there inside and they have singing time she does get invivled so she stands there biting her nails.so now she bites them all the time even at home.its that bad that she bites them to wear the nail comes off,I try to tell her that it isn't nice to do that and its pretty to have nails like mummys.with all these problems I have with her at school and now biting,I was told my daughter might have a serious problem with ANXIETY? Could this be possible and if so how do I help her as it worries me when I'm at work how my daughter is coping at school.the teachers say she is doing heaps better but still isn't talking to anyone and sometimes will wet her pants if she doesn't go to the toilet. I'm confused as what I can do to help.would a counsler help if we went to one.
    Plssss if anyone has this problem I would love to hear advice
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Jun 28, 2008, 01:05 PM
    I know that when I was young, my mother said I acted the same way that your daughter is. I was very social talkative and outgoing at home but really quiet at school and around kids my age. All I can say is that I always felt like I was being judged and watched and I am sure she will grow out of it in her own time. I turned out okay:-)

I still to this day bite my nails! Yuk! It is a terrible habbit! I think it's important to break that habit when kids are young. When I am trying to go on a "no biting" spree I use nail polish remover it doesn't hurt or stain your nails and it tastes TERRIBLE!
    summarizingman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Ok with the nail biting you really need to break this habit right away, you can buy a lot of nail biting things at the chemist, but the nail bitting shows that she is very nervous at daycare (around strangers) so all she needs is a friend to go to daycare with her so she has someone to talk to and play with.
    stargate7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2011, 01:14 PM
    In this time first thing I look for is abuse which could be anywhere and anyone,hopefully its not.
    stargate7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
    I should add another thing my grandson bites his finger and toe nails,he's three when he was younger his toe nails looked yellowish orange.
    I told my wife to give him JELLO and she did and color went normal, now that he's bitting so bad just today told wife make JELLO he might be lacking something we will see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nail biting.I can't stop [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have been biting my nails for my whole life basically but its going to worse these past few years. I sit in class and I bit my nails for like the whole period which is kind of gross I think but I don't care what people think about me. Its just the fact that I want to stop biting my...

How to stop a 2 1/2 year old from biting at Daycare [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 2 1/2. He has never been what I would think of as a biter, just went through a little phase around one, and then we haven't had any problems. He's bitten at day care about once a month since April. Recently it has increased too about every other week he has a biting incident. He hasn't...

My two year old is biting! [ 14 Answers ]

My two year old has never really been a bitter. Now he is biting all the time. When he gets frustrated... How do I get him to stop biting. Like today I put him in timeout, and on the way he bit me so hard he made me bleed. I don't want to put down his self esteem... but nothing I am doing is...

Nail Biting 19 month old. [ 4 Answers ]

My 19 month old son wore his nails down playing outside a few weeks ago (playing with gravel) and started sucking on his fingers to relieve the discomfort. He is now constantly biting his nails, and even a little on the skin. They are extremely short and I worry about infection. I would like to...

View more questions Search