Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Reading the Federal law
    United States Code Title 18, Section 228

(a) Offense. - Any person who -

(1) willfully fails to pay a support obligation with respect to a child who resides in another State, if such obligation has remained unpaid for a period longer than 1 year, or is greater than $5,000;

(2) travels in interstate or foreign commerce with the intent to evade a support obligation, if such obligation has remained unpaid for a period longer than 1 year, or is greater than $5,000; or

(3) willfully fails to pay a support obligation with respect to a child who resides in another State, if such obligation has remained unpaid for a period longer than 2 years, or is greater than $10,000;

I cannot understand the first article... Is it OK to fail to pay if you live in the same state as the child:confused: :confused: :D :D

Good guidelines but except "another state" part.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 05:55 AM
    An interesting observation, GV70, which illustrates that federal law must transcend individual state boundaries or risk constitutional challenge.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70
    United States Code Title 18, Section 228

(a) Offense. - Any person who -

(1) willfully fails to pay a support obligation with respect to a child who resides in another State, if such obligation has remained unpaid for a period longer than 1 year, or is greater than $5,000;

(2) travels in interstate or foreign commerce with the intent to evade a support obligation, if such obligation has remained unpaid for a period longer than 1 year, or is greater than $5,000; or

(3) willfully fails to pay a support obligation with respect to a child who resides in another State, if such obligation has remained unpaid for a period longer than 2 years, or is greater than $10,000;

I cannot understand the first article...Is it OK to fail to pay if you live in the same state as the child:confused: :confused: :D :D

good guidelines but except "another state" part.
    George is right. The basis of this in not to interrupt a states law but to proclaim federal law as it leads to protection of the child. In many states federal law is used as a guideline for CS. In many situations a crime becomes federal if you cross state lines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Really want a reading [ 7 Answers ]

I can't find anyplace that does FREE readings. THey all have hidden charges, and charged readings are so terribly inaccurate, but enough of that, is there anyone here that can give me a reading? If you can, let me know, and I'll send a personal message.

I need a reading [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone do psychic readings that's able to help me ? Thanku

Am I reading it too much? [ 4 Answers ]

Jason is my friend's friend and I am interested in him. We went out last week in a group and jason asked if I knew that my friend (david) likes me and stuff. I told Jason that David and I are just friends and Jason called me later that week and we talked for a short while but never called me...

Federal Wage information is missing in my W2. How can I pay my Federal tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Last year, I was working as F1 in OPT. As F1, I can exempt from society security tax and medicare tax. But the accounting company also exempted my Federal tax and told me that was the way to do it. I thought I could report my Federal tax later, so I let it go. But right now, I get my...

View more questions Search