Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SamSlandered Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Suing Children for Slander
    A restraining order against "Sam" was attempted by the plaintiff; when it became clear that the judge intended to deny the plaintiff's request, in desperation, the plaintiff claimed that his under-aged daughter claimed that she had been sexually abused by a former friend of the family (who, by the way, was the same individual the plaintiff was attempt to file a restraining order against). Of course, no charges were ever filed against this former friend; nevertheless, "Sam" would like to know if he can sue the child for slander. Is it even possible to do so? If so, how feasible is it (i.e. what is the typical outcome of a case wherein a child is sued for slander)?
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Jun 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
    It may be helpful to consult an attorney who is familiar with laws related to minors charged with slander. My guess is that this would be a matter for the attention of the juvenile court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 07:11 PM
    First in this case unless the minor actually appeared and testified what you have is someone said, the minor said something, that does not prove the minor said anything. What proof do you hve beyond this persons statement that the minor ever said something,

Opinion, let it die and move on with your life.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 27, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Agree with chuck. Might be best to let it go and move on. You can always sue someone, but even if you win, your damages might be as little as $ 1.00

When wronged, it's a good idea to let Karma take care of it.
    BadLuckChuck Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Yes you can. HOWEVER, be prepared to reap what you sow. Judges are temperamental individuals and you may find yourself paying her attornies fees after all is said and done. It happened to my x when she tried to sue me. The judge stuck it to her and her actions ended up costing her $3000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue for slander? [ 20 Answers ]

About a year ago, while I was pregnant with my daughter, I was arrested on criminal charges (egging a car) and spent hours in jail. This accusation came from a "friend/girlfriend" of my ex boyfriend, my baby's father. I then got an attorney and went forward in the case. Time after time it was...

My fiancˇ's Mother is Suing him for Custody of His Children [ 2 Answers ]

~I am a mess. I have been dating a wonderful father of two, and we desperately want to get married. The problem is his mother. He has been living under her roof to "help" with the children while he finishes school. Since he has been there, she has assumed all responsibility for his children. She...

Slander and law [ 2 Answers ]

Is it slander for a person to tell someone that you are a criminal and that you are going to jail?

Suing an Employee for Slander [ 3 Answers ]

As mentioned in my other post here; https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/corporate-law/wrongful-termination-44665.html Is it possible to sue a employee (not the company who employes her) for slander, and defamation of character? As a result, both myself and my son have lost decent paying jobs, and...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search