Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 27, 2008, 06:21 PM
    What vitamins do I need?
    Can someone give me a list of all the vitamins I should have in a day? Those vitamin packs with 20% of one and 2000% of another makes me nervous. I know there are like one a day pills and stuff, but I'm more interested in kind of making my own mix of everything I need. One a day pills don't give you enough of everything you need. I am anemic and hypokalemic so I know I need more iron and potassium than normal. Also, I have read if you have white spots on your nails, you could need more zinc. I have them and furthermore my nails are brittle, and I eat my fruits and veggies. Not a lot of sugar and salt, etc. Might I need more zinc? Any suggestions?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I take B complex and vitamins for energy and memory in the morning
    Then I take antioxidents, vitamin C, E, and zinc in the afternoon
    At bedtime I take magnesium, potassium and vitamin D, also Calcium if 'n when I feel I need it.

Basically take the supplements that optimize each other together.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 27, 2008, 06:30 PM
    When you started this regimen, did you notice a change right away or was it a slow process? Can certain vitamins help with mood and motivation (I have less than normal motivation to clean house lately, and wonder if it can be helped this way)?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 07:11 PM
    When I take the magnesium at night I notice I wake up a lot more refreshed and energetic.
    I take the potassium at night when I have cramps or aches in my legs at night.

The B complex helps me with my energy and memory.
    I can usually tell when I am getting too much of something and cut back to every other day or less.

It can take from a few days to a couple months to notice a difference.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 16, 2008, 10:47 PM
    I would go to a natural health store to get the vitamins vs. regular drug store.
    If you are going to take zinc, take it is a lozenge form as it works better that way.

I am going to take the new Nature Made liquid capsules and see how they work.
    jamerp1970 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
    I am an RN and just actually finished a college level Nutrition class this week. Vitamins are mostly a fad. If you have iron deficient anemia you should take an iron supplement perscribed by your doctor. Natural vitamin C like in oj should be taken with the iron supplement. If you are on a medecine that lowers your potassium you may need replacement but this needst to be perscribed by your doctor other wise there are plenty of foods rich in potassium like bananas and oj. If you eat a balanced diet and have no malabsorption disorders then any other vitamins are a waste of money, they do not absorb unless they are in there natural state. Vegetarians may need a vitamin B supplement but this is if they do not eat a balanced diet. Taking vitamin supplements can lead to toxicities but you usually have to take quite a lot. Got to mypyramid.gov there are many helpful tools there. Too much potassium can be deadly.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Women's one-a-day (or mens) seems to work well with me. It's not expensive and you can get it everywhere. I haven't gotten sick in over a year since I've started taking them.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 01:50 PM
    I have been taking a multi pill vitamin pack for well over 15 years now.

Prior to starting this, I would have at a minimum of 3 or 4 serious colds per year.

In the past 7 years, I have not even suffered as much as a runny nose, and I don't eat a balanced diet every day.

I SWEAR by them, even if there is evidence that they don't work, I believe my personal experience with them speaks loudly.

They are manufactured by Nature Made.

The ones I take are called "Maximim Pack" and contain 6 pills each, taken one package per day.

They do make a Mens and a Women's Pack too, I just like the idea of getting the maximum.

No, I don't work for Nature Made either.

PS edited to add if you are going to take any vitamins, be sure to do so with some food in your stomach. This helps give them something to
    Attach to, allowing more to be absorbed into your system.
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Go to puratinspride.com. Best Vitiman site on earth. Get the catalog or take avantage of the 70% off or whatever the special is this month. You need only get the top of the line Multi-vit. Extra C complex. You are done! If you start looking at the catalog, you will spend more money that you think. Just start will the mega-multi. You will feel a difference.
    kirrah8 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smokedetector
    Can someone give me a list of all the vitamins I should have in a day? Those vitamin packs with 20% of one and 2000% of another makes me nervous. I know there are like one a day pills and stuff, but I'm more interested in kind of making my own mix of everything I need. One a day pills dont give you enough of everything you need. I am anemic and hypokalemic so I know I need more iron and potassium than normal. Also, i have read if you have white spots on your nails, you could need more zinc. I have them and furthermore my nails are brittle, and I eat my fruits and veggies. Not alot of sugar and salt, etc. Might I need more zinc? Any suggestions?
    vitimans are a heap of rubbish.you get twice as many vitimans out of your fresh fruit and vegies.
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 4, 2008, 02:56 PM
    OK, you have your doughts. I just recommend a good multi-vit. That's all. Just spend more than $20 for 100. Look at the label... If C is over 10,000,, its OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prenatal vitamins [ 1 Answers ]

I bought prenatal vitamins. Does this helps me get pregnant faster? what can I do if this is not working? I want to get pregnant before the year ends..

Vitamins and Trying to conceive! [ 4 Answers ]

We have been trying everything for the past 9 months! I don’t think that it helps that I am borderline underweight. This stinks! I have been trying to eat healthy but gain like 5 lbs. I have been taking Vitamin B. Does anyone know if that is a wrong kind or should I take something else? I am...

Too much vitamins? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have bought a few vitamins, I did not buy the multi because it was not multi for me, so any way the vitamins are(zinc, calcium, A&d, kelp, shark and B complex with C, E and iron) is that crazy? How should I take them? And if this is crazy which ones can I take first till the bottle is...

When to take vitamins and supplements [ 2 Answers ]

My doctor has recommended that I take a B complex vitamin. When should I take this? With food or without? Any time or evening or morning? Also any recommendation on best time to take calcium with Vitamin D?

What vitamins do I lack? [ 1 Answers ]

I love the smell of tires, new shoes, leather, the smell of them gives me some kind of rush. What I need to know is why? Do I lack a certain vitamin in my diet that would do this to me?:o

View more questions Search