Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Camborio Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Jun 27, 2008, 03:20 PM
    What's Easier.Getting Married in Mexico, or Fiancé Visa
    My boyfriend wants to return to Mexico and apply for his papers on his own to prove to my parents that he isn't with me for my papers. His sister is also graduating from University and he wants to go and see her.
    My plan was that if he can't get his papers (which I know is likely) I would apply for the fiancé visa or just marry him in Mexico, and live down there for a time.
    Many of my friends who have gone through this says it is easier to get married in Mexico, or apply for the fiancé visa once they have returned to Mexico.
    I know if I get married here in the US before he goes back, it will make the strain even bigger that I have with my parents.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Getting married, while can help with the "papers" is no for sure, they will still have to get the visas and go though the process. An immigration attorney is what you really need

Jun 27, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Yeah I know that's why I figured if he's going to have to go back to Mexico anyway. We might as well do it that way. Plus I have a friend who knows a lawyer in Mexico, who knows immigration lawyers down there. I have my own business so I can be wherever for a period.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Camborio
    My boyfriend wants to return to Mexico and apply for his papers on his own to prove to my parents that he isn't with me for my papers. His sister is also graduating from University and he wants to go and see her.
    My plan was that if he can't get his papers (which I know is likely) I would apply for the fiance visa or just marry him in Mexico, and live down there for a time.
    Many of my friends who have gone through this says it is easier to get married in Mexico, or apply for the fiance visa once they have returned to Mexico.
    I know if I get married here in the US before he goes back, it will make the strain even bigger that I have with my parents.
    Thanks for the advice.
    What is his current status in US? Is he illegal? How long did he overstayed? Did he enter US without inspection?

If he entered US illegally or overstayed his visa for a long period of time, fiance visa may not be a good idea. I would recommend you get married in US, then he returns to Mexico and you file a petition for spouse visa in US.

Get experienced immigration attorney here in US.... you might get screwed big time with local attorneys there.

Jun 27, 2008, 08:17 PM
    He doesn't want to get married here. He wants to go back to Mexico, he wants to prove to my parents that he is with me because he loves me and not because he wants papers. I've offered, but he doesn't want to. I get different answers from everyone I talk to, but the most consistent one is that it is easier for him to get back and for us to get married down there. That is what my friends who have been through the process say. I will get an attorney. I just wanted opinions. Could I still apply for the spouse visa if we got married down in Mexico.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felons getting a visa to work in mexico [ 1 Answers ]

My father has started a business in mexico and wants me to move down there and work with him. I was told I might need a visa to work in another country. I have a felony on my record. Will that be a problem? Are convicted felons allowed to get a visa?

Do I need a visa to go to Canada or Mexico [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I am permanent resident in the US, do I need a visa or interview from the following country's embassy to be able to travel there? Thanks

Visa appointment mexico [ 2 Answers ]

Have an appointment at Tijauna consulate for H1-B stamping on April 3rd. I made only one appointment for me and my wife together. But my wife is also applying for H1-B. I did not know if we have to make a separate appointment for her.Now it's too late to get an appointment for the same day. I...

My fiance' friend is getting married the same day [ 1 Answers ]

I found out yesterday that one of my fiance' friends is getting the married the same that we are. This totally sucks. Because two of the guys that my fiancŽ was going to ask to be groomsmen are also going to be asked my his friend. Hello problem, they can't be at both weddings. Come on first,...

View more questions Search