Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bo2640 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Maumee River History
    Hello,

I am researching the Maumee River's history and ecology for a freelance article,
    And would greatly appreciate any information that could be shared. I read with
    Great interest the Q and A about Girty's Island and look forward to visiting that
    Area. As far as islands in the Maumee, any clues as to where Missionary Island
    Got its name? Thank you in advance.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Great Lakes Areas of Concern (AoCs): Maumee River | Great Lakes | US EPA
    Maumee River -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

The second link you will have to sign in to view the entire article.

EDIT::
    Maumee River - History
    dustine0221 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 11:33 PM
    I am actually just surfing here trying to find some history myself... I know there is a lot of history about where I grew up [19480 west river road 43402]. My parents house is no longer there but even that had some history- It was a vineyard in the beginning, with only maybe 3 previous owners before us. The land is a one in a million spot, Our house was the only one you could see if you walked out on the rappids at "Otsego Park" in the summer time. The park was to the north of us, and then [i always forget the spelling-] Weirs(?) Rappids was to the south. So it was the only place (as far as I know) on the entire Maumee that during a dry summer you could walk all the way acress barely getting your feet wet. As kids we always found arrow heads and things, and I remember as a kid going to the Toledo Museum of Art and seeing a pic of our land as an Indian camp sight...
    Any way, just feeling a little home sick I guess, I am in Arizona now...
    dustine0221 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 11:33 PM
    I am actually just surfing here trying to find some history myself... I know there is a lot of history about where I grew up [19480 west river road 43402]. My parents house is no longer there but even that had some history- It was a vineyard in the beginning, with only maybe 3 previous owners before us. The land is a one in a million spot, Our house was the only one you could see if you walked out on the rappids at "Otsego Park" in the summer time. The park was to the north of us, and then [i always forget the spelling-] Weirs(?) Rappids was to the south. So it was the only place (as far as I know) on the entire Maumee that during a dry summer you could walk all the way acress barely getting your feet wet. As kids we always found arrow heads and things, and I remember as a kid going to the Toledo Museum of Art and seeing a pic of our land as an Indian camp sight...
    Any way, just feeling a little home sick I guess, I am in Arizona now...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girty's Island, Maumee River [ 112 Answers ]

Happy New Year Everyone! I am currently researching Girty's Island in the Maumee River, near Florida Ohio. Looking for artifacts from a time long ago. So far I know that Simon Girty hid there and his brother George had a trading post, both in the 1700's. I have also learned that there was...

Misisipi River [ 1 Answers ]

What are the land uses of the misisipi river catchment area.

Man who crosses the river [ 1 Answers ]

A man arrives at a river with his three possessions a dog a rabbit and a sack of lettuces. The only dinghy available is just big enough to take the man and one of his three possessions at a time. The dog if left alone with the rabbit will eat it the rabbit if left alone with lettuces will eat...

River otters [ 1 Answers ]

For my 9 year old who is writing a paper for school, do river otters hibernate? How do they survive winters?

Nile River [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how fast the Nile River flows? :confused:

View more questions Search