Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TDom79 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 01:19 PM
    DVD's won't play!
    Hey folks.

Recently I posted before about my computer not booting up and it seems the troubles haven't ended there.

I have a Dell Demension e510. I recently replaced the power supply to a 350 watt output I think it is.. I just know it's 350watt from what my fiancé said.

And just a few days ago bought a new graphics card and had it installed. I don't know if the new graphics card has anything to do with the current problem. But just in case.. It's a GeForce 9600 512mb DDR3, with a power plug thingie, we had to connect the power supply to it for it to work.

Anyway.

Last night I attempted to put a DVD in my DVD-rom/CD-rw drive and it registered the DVD even gave us the list of chapters and stuff to watch. However! When I pressed play. I got a huge error. I tried 5 other DVD's in the drive and the same error. It will however Play CD's fine, and burn CD's, but DVD's is a no go.

This is a picture of my screen of the error that pops up:

If any one can help clue me in to what the problem is why I'm getting this error it would be most appreciated. And why it only happens when I push play on my dvd player would help too. I did try to play it in various programs as well I have Realplayer, Windows media player, and some sonic something DVD player experience that came pre installed on my computer. Every program leads to the same screen as soon as I hit play. Despite reading the dvd and giving us menu options and chapter selections.

What steps should I take to be able to watch DVD's on my computer again? Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 02:32 PM
    I'd be willing to bet the installation of the new video card is the root of your problem.
    The file nv4_disp.dll sure sounds like an nVidia driver, which the GeForce would use. You might try to update the driver for your video card and see if that helps the situation.

You should be able to find the latest drivers here.

Best of luck,
    WallyH

Jun 27, 2008, 05:09 PM
    :( I followed your link to the latest drivers and re-installed them, Wally. Unfortunately I tested a dvd in there again after restarting and same blue screen error :(
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 05:28 PM
    It is definitely a video issue and not dvd rom.

Did the video card come with an installation cd?

Check device mgr to see if any problems there
    Start,settings, control panel, system, hardware tab, devivce mgr and look for any yellow marks there

If no yellow marks, click on thte plus sign next to display adapter and right click on the adapter and then properties and see if you can update drivers, jit the update driver tab

Jun 27, 2008, 06:01 PM
    We used the cd to install the card initially, After that my fiancée had me download the latest drivers from Nvidia's site. I just reinstalled them again with Wally's suggestion in the last post.

My fiancée just asked if it couldn't possibly be a matter of the DVD drive being out dated for the newer graphics drivers? Because we're gamers the graphics card has no problems drivers or other wise in the games we play. The only issue is playing a DVD.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Was going to recommend this and then also found this in a similar post with same issue as you are having, it does make sense for these steps to work, hope it helps out

- Start the Computer Tapping the F8 Key as Soon as u push the button to start it keep tapping till you see "WINDOWS options menu"

- Highlight the Option Safe Mode using the Arrow Keys on your Keyboard and hit Enter to Select the option.

- Message which will say Windows is running in safe mode...

- Click on START then settings, control panel, system icon, Hardware Tab and then click Device Manager

- Under Device manager click on the '+' sign next to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and give a right click on the NVIDIA Adapter and select uninstall and click OK on the Confirmation POP UP.

- Close All the Windows and Restart the System Normally... Windows Will start normally without any errors but with the basic Display Settings.

- Locate you Display Drivers CD and install the Drivers from the Disc for your NVIDIA Card and the Issue should be Resolved

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freeware to play DVD's on computer? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello I'm looking for some free software I can use to be able to watch DVD's on my computer. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Memorex dvd's will not play in dvd player= / [ 13 Answers ]

I have bought Memorex 25pk recordable 16x speed, 4.7 gb DVD+R's and i burned a movie on one and it will not play in my dvd player. It says Imcomplete disk. I dont know why its seying this because its supposed be able to have movies burned on it. Can someone help me? maybe im not doing something...

DVD/CDRW won't play non-commercial DVD's [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Liteon Combo LTC 48161H running on a Compaq s5000cl. The DVD/CDRW drive will not play a non-commercial DVD. I have tried resetting the defaults by left clicking on "My Computer" and right clicking the combo drive, choosing "Properties", then "Auto Play" and clicking the "Restore defaults"...

View more questions Search