Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xtra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Expunged record/ Trying for Security Guard job.
    I have an expunged conviction from 36 years ago. I am trying for a Security Guard job but they need to run a fingerprint check. Will this ruin my chances?Thanks:(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2008, 11:34 AM
    If the record was expunged then it shouldn't show up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
    If they run the record though normal government ( police) it should not show up, if it was explunged properly. If they run a private search, these can show up many things, since they access all sorts of records.

But it should not show up and it should be OK.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 28, 2008, 08:53 PM
    I have explained this quite a few times before and have delt with this kind of stuff as a probation officer and as a police officer. There is a big difference between police records, such as NCIC (National Crime Information Center) and court records. In my state, an expungement erases a court record but not a police record. That means that a record of the charges brought against you will remain. I assume you were fingerprinted when charged, this will likely be on record as well. Expungement doesn't apply to fingerprint cards.

That doesn't mean you won't get the job, but you need to be up front about it with the potential employer as they will likely find out about it. I have had people on probation who had an NCIC record going as far back as military misconduct during WWII. No, wait a minute, that guy was on parole.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther
    There is a big difference between police records, such as NCIC (National Crime Information Center) and court records. In my state, an expungement erases a court record but not a police record. That means that a record of the charges brought against you will remain.
    This is actually the case in most areas. But most background checks will only do a court search. Police records are generally only available to law enforcement personnel.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 29, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Well it depends on the nature of the job, the status of the employer and of course, state law. There are agencies, such as NASA, where I worked at one time, that can get access to that type of record.

In my state there is also a procedure whereby certain employers can register with the State Police and get an authorization number which allows them to get a "police check" from an agency called CJIS, the Criminal Justice Information System. This involves arrests in Maryland only. If you don't have the authorization number, you can't even get a police check on yourself. If you have it you can for a fee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Record expunged [ 2 Answers ]

What does it mean to have a record expunged? Does that mean that your record will not show in a normal background check by an employer?

Do I qualify to have my record expunged if. [ 2 Answers ]

I am 33 years old. When I was 18, I wrote a check for my college tuition and due to a fallout with my parents over my grades from the previous semester, they never put the funds into my account and the check bounced. I didn't handle the matter immediately and I ended up having to go to the...

How do you get your record expunged [ 1 Answers ]

I was on deferred adjudication probation for theft over 50 under 500. I went through the probation and did everything I was supposed to and this was not supposed to show up on my record. It is still on my record from 1999. How would I go about getting this expunged?

Want job at BANK, my record is expunged, but can I be bonded? [ 2 Answers ]

Pety Theft, it was expunged, but Bank of American requires all employees to be bonded. Is this possible?

Want job at BANK, my record is expunged, but can I be bonded? [ 1 Answers ]

Pety Theft, it was expunged, but Bank of American requires all employees to be bonded. Is this possible?

View more questions Search