Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 07:54 AM
    FHA loan / CH 7 BK / Wait 2 years?
    Hello all!

My family and I want to get into our first house when our current lease is up (Feb-07). We went through a CH 7 bankruptcy and it was discharged 4/8/05. Everything I've seen says you have to wait 2-years before you would qualify for an FHA loan. Are there ever any exceptions to that rule? Working on cleaning up my credit report / score now. We got a car loan in Dec 2005 and I'm getting a secured CC to help rebuild credit. Other than that I have no other debt. I have 10 years at the same job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 21, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Yes, there is an exception to the two year rule for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (and three year rule for a Foreclosure). "An elapsed period of less than two years, but not less than twelve months, may be acceptable if the borrower can show that the bankruptcy was caused by EXTENUATING circumstances beyond his or her control and has since exhibited a documented ability to manage his or her financial affairs in a responsible manner. Additionally, the lender must document that the borrower's current situation indicates that the events that led to the bankruptcy are not likely to recur."

This is a very high hurdle to overcome, requiring a committed borrower willing to provide extensive documentation, an experienced loan officer willing to devote the time to assemble it in a coherent and persuasive manner, and an underwriter who is not afraid to make the tough decisions. (Underwriters get report cards from FHA. Too mant F's can result in an uderwriter losing their "Direct Endorsement" privileges.). A borrower who had good credit prior to a catastrophic event (such as a debilitating injury, or illness, shutdown of their long term employer in a small town without alternative employers, etc) might be a good candidate for such an exeption. Situation such as a divorce or merely being overextended probably would not qualify. I hope that this answers your question.
    mdk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Thanks Dr. D! My 4 yo son had a heart surgery when he was 2 1/2 months old and my wife lost her job because she took off to be with him at the hospital and care for him when he came home. That was basically the start of our financial problems that we had. Needless to say I didn't care much about the debt I had (only cared about my son and his comfort) and it started to snowball. I tried to keep up but once you get over the limit on your CC's it's tough to get them caught up again. We only had about 7k in debt when we did our CH 7.

Thanks again for the info!

mdk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To wait or not to wait [ 15 Answers ]

Would you rather date around while waiting for the perfect person to show up, or not date at all until you meet the perfect person?

How long do I wait? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I was dating a girl for about 4 months. We knew each other from work. She had told me that she had a crush on me from the first day she met me. We are both 27. About 3 1/2 weeks ago she told me that she still cares a lot about me but she just can't do this right now. I excepted her...

How long did you wait? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all! My divorce was only final a year ago, but I was separated for 3 years before that... just out of curiosity.. if any of you have remarried, how long did you wait? Im considering getting married again, and I do uderstand that the time in between is different for everyone, Im just curious. Ive...

How long should we wait? [ 2 Answers ]

OK here goes... me and my boyfriend have one child already but he is from my previous rship so he's mine but not his... he has been wanting one very badly.. we are planning to get married soon(within the next few months).. been together for a year and a half.. my son is turning a year old in...

Wait or move on [ 6 Answers ]

Dear experts, This guy and I have been seeing each other for 6 months and as with any relationship, we had a few bits of drama, but never to the point of separation. However, on Friday night, I called him and he was crying because his ex girlfriend had belittled him severely in front of a...

View more questions Search