Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommy2one Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Step Parent Unfit To Parent?
    I am trying to find out how to prove a step parent unfit. My exhusband recently married a woman who my child is all but terrified of. I have asked my child several times what is wrong and they tell me this woman is mean, keeps the child from their father, slaps them, spanks them (which the woman has admitted to), calls mommy bad names in front of them making them cry, refuses to let them speak to me on the phone when I call and will make them stand in the corner till daddy comes home from work... etc.

This person has also been harassing me as well as my ex husbands family. They have hacked into email accounts and sent things under my name to various people, they have threatened me, it is really out of hand. I have went to the police and they filled a report reluctantly and informed me nothing would come of it. This woman is an aggressive presence at all pick ups and drop offs and I have asked SEVERAL times that she not come to my home to pick up the child but my ex always brings her and she just lays on the horn until he grabs my child.

I have an attorney, he is on vacation at the moment. I need some ideas on what to do and how to do it. I have been informed by my ex's family that they have reason to believe the woman is bipolar and a risk to my child. She is aggressive and has "bowed up" to members of his family. My ex is in denial of the situation despite his family alienating him and his child being hysterical when he come to retrive them... Ideas?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 08:10 AM
    You need to write down each little detail and date it no matter how insignificant it may seem.
    Get your kids to tell you each thing and write it down. Write down the effects she has on the kids too.

Jun 27, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    You need to write down each little detail and date it no matter how insignificant it may seem.
    Get your kids to tell you each thing and write it down. Write down the effects she has on the kids too.
    Thank you for your response, I have been doing this. I am just concerned that it will be considered hear say and dismissed?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Go buy a notebook and dedicate it just to your child. Use it just like a journal so you have dates, times, and everything that happened. Record pick-ups, drop-offs, and anything your child says about his/her experience at their house/car rides. Once you have a few pages (which if everything is true shouldn't take long) take it to your attorney. Get a court date and use that as evidence as to why the child should not be left alone with the step-mom.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Get your child to a psychologist for evaluation. Their report will help your case.

While your journal is hearsay it can be used in conjunction with other more concrete material.

Your attorney should be pushing for ONLY supervised visitation. Do not try to cut the ex off completely, Your concerns are with this woman and if you can require supervision, then the problems should come out.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Yeah supervised visitation would be the best request because then it will show you are concerned about the best interest of your kids and not trying some spite angle thing.

Jun 27, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Thank you for your advice and I believe my attorney is going to place us in contact with a psychologist for my daughter. I was under the impression that unless extreme physical abuse was occurring it would be near impossible to get supervised visitation?

I am in no way trying to keep my child from the father, just extremely worried about this woman considering she is constantly doing something to me or his family and she is unable to even hold a job down. Something is wrong but since I am not in the home I can't tell exactly what or how bad it is?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2008, 10:23 AM
    No, the court should hold the child's best interest as paramount. If there is any evidence of abuse either physical or mental, the court should protect the child by ordering supervised vists for at least an evaluation period.

Jun 27, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Thank you Scott, I really hope you are right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unfit Parent [ 1 Answers ]

If the mother had custody taken and was found an unfit parent but both parties have joint custody, and the fathers new wife is coming in between the child and his/her mother, can the mother get custody of the child? If the mother is not unfit at this point?:confused:

Absent parent contesting step-parent adoption [ 11 Answers ]

My husband is attempting to adopt my daughter (age 11), he has been her dad now for about 9 years. The biological father has not seen his child since she was 5 months old and never paid child support. I have a child support order and a permanent restraining order which was granted in Kansas, 1997....

Unfit parent [ 3 Answers ]

What type of things would constitute my my wife who is divorcing me as an unfit parent?

Unfit parent [ 2 Answers ]

I need some information on how to prove a parent is unfit in court. I have been raising my grandchildren for the past two years and now need to protect them more from their father and stepmother. Need all the information I can get. What is the critera that constitutes an unfit parent. ...

Unfit parent [ 1 Answers ]

What is the definition of an unfit parent in the province of new brunswick, canada

View more questions Search