Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mahrooky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 06:23 AM
    How do I reformate my notebook and then reinstall XP on it
    I want to reformate my notebook and then install windows XP on it.
    I have the recovery CDs but I don't noe how to refromate it in the first place
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2008, 06:25 AM
    If you have a Recovery CD you shouldn't need to format. A Recovery CD restores the unit to the condition it came out of the factory. It will do the reformatting as part of the Recovery.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 06:55 AM
    You need to make sure that the notebook will first boot from the CD/DVD drive, that is done in the BIOS. Once you've done that insert the Recovery CD in the drive and reboot.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Depending on your laptop brand, you may have a recovery partition already installed.

When you first turn it on, try hitting F-11 as it boots up.

If you have system recovery, this will open it up.

With this option, you can reset the laptop to out of box condition without even using the recovery discs.

Again, not all laptops/notebooks have this option, it is most common on Compaq and HP.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 07:51 AM
    ... once you've completed a factory restore, before you do anything else, insert your XP install discs and now do an upgrade installation over the OS that is there. Since you have the recovery option again later, there's no need to save any of the old data, let the upgrade replace it all.
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jun 28, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Insert the recovery disc, then reboot.

Once your system is back to the way it was when you got it, go in to Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs and delete all those unwanted extras your computer manufacturer decided to clog up your system with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HP 500 notebook [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I've gone three days to find VGA drivers for HP 500 Notebook... thought HP site would list them but only the ones for later models e.g HP 530 & they don't work together! I find this rather strange. Can anyone be of help? Appreciated!

Notebook won't bot up [ 2 Answers ]

Low disk warning keep popping up,so I deleted programs that were not being used. After I did that my note boot won't boot up,, ::confused:

Windows ME Notebook Reinstall Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Several years ago I upgraded my Dell Latitude LM notebook from Windows 95 to Windows ME. Everything went fine. I have used the notebook for several years operating on Windows ME with no problems. Well, as good as could be expected considering it was Windows ME. Last week, for a number of...

Which notebook? [ 3 Answers ]

hi, need some guidance. Daughter's going to college and is buying an entry level notebook, narrowed down to two- 1) toshiba a85- s107 and 2) compac presario m2105 us. compac- With a 15" display, wireless capabilities and combo drive, the Compaq Presario M2105US notebook gives you the...

View more questions Search