Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Solarrigger2000 Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Air Compressor Air/ Pressurizing Humans
    Hello,
    For one of my experiments I will end up breathing air from an air compressor (After it has been partially decompressed) and I had two questions.
    1. Is there anything in an air compressor that would make the air that comes out of it unsafe for humans to breathe.
    2. Could there be any ramifacations from pressurizing the air around a human to about 20 psi? ( Thus pressurizing the human )

Thank you
    P.S. I am the human!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 05:13 AM
    It may just freeze your lungs up.
    Solarrigger2000 Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    It may just freeze your lungs up.
    So it could kill me?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Let's just say that this is not a very smart experiment. I would nix it if I were you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 11:23 AM
    I think that is just about the dumbest experiment I have ever heard of.

What do you hope to accomplish by doing so?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Your basically diving. I don't know what depth 20 PSI is. You also have to know if your using PSIA or PSIG. I would assume gage pressure rather than absolute. The bends may be possible.

2) Oil contamination of the air is possible depending on the compressor.

I don't think it's a safe experiment especially raising the pressure to a little over 2 atmospheres.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 02:14 PM
    HI, Keep, ai r compressors drive power tools and perform other functions, say in an auto body shop. You are right about the oil contamination because in most shops, if its done properly, there is a filter-regulator-lubricator on line(after),( if my memory serves me right, my husband used to service Quincy Air Compressors in Michigan), the air compressor, so there is a certain amount of a low contaminant oil in the air delivered by the air compressor because air tools have to have lubrication.

I don't think he has this type, but just the same, if he does, he will experience a mind blowing minute, especially if he does it with an air nozzle attachment.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Yep, lubercation and moisture removal is essential for many power tools.

My uncle was a diver and had his own compressor to fill the tanks. Probably to 1500 - 3000 PSI. Also had to keep the tanks cool. I think the compressor was gas powered too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cows or humans? [ 71 Answers ]

As a Christian, I believe that God created humans to be superior and above all animals , even angels; and because of this human life is precious. Humans did not come from the same primordial muck that all other animals came from as evolutionists and a lot of scientists will have you believe. ...

Can something immoral for Humans be OK for God? [ 54 Answers ]

If punishing crime via torture is wrong for humans how can it be thought to be right for God? Addendum: Let me say that the only reason I posted it was to get an honest opinion to this seeming paradox of people condemning humans who torture and praising a God they feel sends people to be...

Pigs and Humans [ 1 Answers ]

what is the Diffrence between a Human and Pig?

Similarities in humans and pigs [ 1 Answers ]

It was claimed that there are similarities between humans and pigs. Please explain

Humans [ 3 Answers ]

How long have humans inhabited the earth? Thanks! -alison

View more questions Search