Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koloakate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 10:41 PM
    New sink with overflow valve overflows
    Our newly installed bathroom sink with an overflow drain (and new, clear piping) overflowed. Is this a problem with the sink or installation or should we not expect the overflow drain to accommodate the sink's inflow?

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 11:16 PM
    If you mean that the drain was closed and the overflow did not prevent the sink over flowing. No, the overflow opening will not prevent the sink overflowing if the faucet is open very much. Its only a little hole.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by koloakate
    Our newly installed bathroom sink with an overflow drain (and new, clear piping) overflowed. Is this a problem with the sink or installation or should we not expect the overflow drain to accommodate the sink's inflow?

Thanks!
    I'm not quite clear. Are you saying the lavatory backed up and overflowed or that you wet away and left the water running with the stopper closed expecting the outlet hole in the lavatory to prevent the lavatory from overflowing? Regards, n Tom
    waltdisney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 04:37 PM
    What do you think? I Think the plumbers and manufacturers of our sinks are in partnership so that the plumbers get more work. I just don not understand that in every room of the house your sind has and overflow for the water to escape, but not the kitchen sink what is with this, I know that the kitchen sink is used much more often than any other sink in the house, so why do they not have an overflow, its just crazy. Especially when nowadays they use wood for flooring in kitchens also to point out what if you have a basement in your home where does that water escape to, right into the ceiling of your basement damaging drywall and who know's what else. Please if any one reads this with some sort of influence can you please get overflows in the kitchen sinks. I know that in Europe they use them in the Kitchen sinks. Regards Terry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

When washer drains sink overflows [ 4 Answers ]

How do you hook up the washing machine drain hose directly to p trap under kitchen sink?

Kitchen Sink Overflows! [ 4 Answers ]

Here's a long story shortened... On the day before Thanksgiving I put potato peels into my garbage disposal. It drained just fine, but on Thanksgiving the sink backed up... BAD! I used liquid stuff to try to unclog it, but it didn't work so I took apart EVERYTHING under the sink and found...

Laundry Sink Overflows when using kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Our Laundry Sink Overflows when using the kitchen sink.. with really nasty stuff flowing back out. As a result, sometimes when we're doing the laundry the water drains out very slowly, and we can never do the dishes and laundry at the same time. I'm worried that this may eventually become a...

Washing machine overflows into sink (and over) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a house that is more than 100 years old. Our washing machine is in the basement. About 30 feet over, we have a half bath. Whenever we run a large load, water drains out of the washing machine OK, but backs up into the bathroom sink, and eventually over the counter and onto the...

View more questions Search