Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Romex in PVC Conduit ?
    Need to run #12 wire to my gate opener. Have 1" schedule 80 conduit in ground. Can I run 12/2 Romex through the conduit to feed the gate ? Or do I have to run individual wires. Thank You
    wessmire Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jun 26, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Sure, as long as the Romex isn't exposed to the elements (terminated in J-boxes)
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Thanks for quick answer ( I was hesitant to run the Romex bcs somebody told me that it gets "overheated" inside the conduit ). Thanks!
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 26, 2008, 08:54 PM
    I believe that code requires the insulation be removed when running the wires. The romex insulation causes a heat build-up and failure. I was told. I always took the time to strip the outer cable and pull individual wires.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 26, 2008, 08:57 PM
    NM cable cannot be ran in conduit outdoors.

In your case, you will need THWN or UF cable. Seeing that you already have conduit in place, THWN would be best.

Note: When running THWN, you will need a complete conduit system.

Side note: NM cable can be ran in conduit indoors---code is mute on this issue. Yet, this doesn't deplete the fact that a conduit fill calculation is needed per code.

Hope this helps!

Also see (Just for kicks):
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...it-215119.html

Jun 26, 2008, 09:43 PM
    West,

See NEC 334.112 and 334.12
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Milo, PLEASE choose your advice carefully.
    There is some extreme misinformation in this thread. Washington has given you the correct answers.

Jun 27, 2008, 03:39 AM
    westnlas & wessmire,

You guys are obviously not professionals in this field. PLEASE be more careful in giving advice on this forum. This is NO place to give advice based on "what you heard" or how you've always done something.
    KNOW YOUR FACTS before posting.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 06:32 AM
    If it is any great distance. You might up the size of wire to #10, I would also pull and extra wire for lights at the front gate, If ground is still dug up, you may want to run conduit for a camera and/or Intercomm. THHN/THWN is the way to go.

Jun 27, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal
    Thanks for quick answer ( I was hesitant to run the Romex bcs somebody told me that it gets "overheated" inside the conduit ). Thanks !!
    Looks like Milo went with the wrong suggestions:eek:
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1
    Looks like Milo went with the wrong suggestions:eek:

No, not installed yet. Still "in planning". I read all your answers and I am aware of all of your professional suggestions. The work itself will be done in few weeks from now after driveway is installed. The actual wire-pulling is the last thing we'll do. Thanks, anyway!

Jun 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
    I stand corrected! In do know that you are NOT allowed to pull non stranded wires through a conduit as individual wires. I also know that you are NOT allowed to pull romex through any conduit at all. I was incorrect in responding and will take time to read the question better in the future. I believe the post that said it was OK to pull the romex threw me off, but that is no excuse!! Especially when something dangerous might have been done.

Med time!!

Jun 29, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by westnlas
    In do know that you are NOT allowed to pull non stranded wires through a conduit as individual wires.
    Sure you are. Smaller THHN is sold in solid OR stranded.

Jun 29, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by westnlas
    I stand corrected !! In do know that you are NOT allowed to pull non stranded wires through a conduit as individual wires. I also know that you are NOT allowed to pull romex through any conduit at all. I was incorrect in responding and will take time to read the question better in the future. I believe the post that said it was OK to pull the romex threw me off, but that is no excuse !!! Especially when something dangerous might have been done.

Med time !!!!
    West,

You should stop while you are ahead!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Before the Driveway goes down, if not too late, I would run extra conduits for Water, electric, lights, or a slave motor and control for second operator if that type.

Jun 29, 2008, 10:41 AM
    I would run whatever wire I had, since it's outside the house and only used for a gate opener. It's buried anyway. Tie them into the line with a ground fault breaker to protect the house circuit and leave it for the next 50 years. But that is what I would do, if I had materials on hand and didn't want to spend any more money. But I use a lot of medications.

Jun 29, 2008, 11:55 AM
    westnlas, you should now stop while you are falling WAY behind.
    This last post of your was pathetic, and NOT good advice for a DIYer.

I would stop posting in the electrical section if I were you. You are obviously not a pro and obviously do not have the knowledge and experience to be giving advice to others on this area. :mad:

Jun 29, 2008, 05:01 PM
    And some dummy said I was a hack, because I gave him information based on code! What wes posted, is the clear “definition of“!

I'm a moderator for another electrical site, and Wes is lucky I'm not one here. You would have been banned permanently!

Jun 29, 2008, 05:06 PM
    West has been warned.
    electrician777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Do not use romex (nm cable) in any form of conduit. The hazard is not overheating, but that it isn't flexible enough. Wires for conduit must be stranded for more flexibility. There are usually bends in conduit and solid wires are not flexible enough to be pulled through all the bends. Romex is made to be installed directly onto a home's structure and not pulled through conduit, meaning the installation process doesn't require it to bend very much. When the wire is bent, it is weakened and loses its ampacity. Stranded wire can be bent more because it is more flexible. Romex is composed of solid conductors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Romex in conduit [ 3 Answers ]

I have 1/2" rigid conduit, can I run 12 AWG through it for a length of about 6'? It will be a single cable pull, and it has one 90 degree bend.

Can romex be installed in a conduit [ 13 Answers ]

I am installing a new 100A sub-panel. The feed will be from main with a 100A dual-pole breaker. The main and the sub-panel are in the basement. The new sub-pnael Will be about 25 feet from main. I already bought the feed cable for this sub-panel. I bought #4/3 With Ground NM-B romex. The...

15A vs. 20A on #12 Romex [ 10 Answers ]

We are running #12 Romex wire for circuits from the panel. I want some of the breakers in the panel to be 15amp and some to be 20amp. My electrician says that they should all be 20amo because #12 Romex is code for 20 amps. I said sure but it shouldn't matter is we go smaller than code (i.e....

Romex or bx [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My niece is having some electrical work done in her hi rise condo, in manhattan NYC I notice romex cable being used, I always thought bx cable was code for NYC Any info is appr. Thank you

How to run my romex [ 2 Answers ]

I have 15 outlets and 12 lights. I am running 14/2 for the lights and do I run this to the smoke dec. to Right? Then I am running 12/2 for the outlets. Can I tie all the outlets into one circuit, and how many amps --same with the lights. -or--- should I run 2 circuits and split the outlets in half...

View more questions Search