Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 07:58 PM
    Electrician777... you surely can pull solid wire through conduit, cables are another issue. And when you say "all the bends", only a total of 360 degrees is allowed (4 90 deg. Bends) in a pull. Solid wire in residential applications was the mainstay for many years. Stranded just made it many times easier.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 05:04 PM

Electrician777, did you happen to notice the date of the post you replied to?
    bekuhl37 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 11:29 AM
    I have two circuits to my boat dock. One for lighting and one for two boat lifters. There are 5 60 watt bulbs on the one circuit and the two blower motors take 5 amps each. Is there enough heat with that load to cause a heat buildup? The lighting circuit is on a 14-3 romex and the blower motors are on a 12- 2 romex. This is located at Lake Ozarks in Missouri. The only code is the NEC. Thanks
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2013, 11:36 AM
    You should start a new post instead of adding to a five year old one...
    And elaborate on why you are concerned about this...
    bekuhl37 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcarson View Post
    You should start a new post instead of adding to a five year old one....
    and elaborate on why you are concerned about this....
    Sorry about the old post. I rewired my boat dock to comply with the code that is now in place and since I added on to my dock. Part of the revised permit use was to obtain an electrical inspection. The post I wrote explains what I have. The inspector said that the code would not allow romex in PVC conduit. I am looking to see where this is in violation of the NEC code. I do not think I will have a heat problem since this is in 3/4" conduit. That is in addition on the low amperage being drawn. Thanks
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Yes it is a violation if the conduit is buried under the surface of the ground... then by definition you are in "wet" location and NM in not permitted in wet or damp locations. The reason here has nothing to do with heat.
    Don't waste your time arguing, THWN conductors (which are very common) are rated for damp and wet locations. Do it right and let's go sailing...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2013, 05:30 PM
    Plus you can pull extra conductors for travelers, lighting.
    It IS a Violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Romex in conduit [ 3 Answers ]

I have 1/2" rigid conduit, can I run 12 AWG through it for a length of about 6'? It will be a single cable pull, and it has one 90 degree bend.

Can romex be installed in a conduit [ 13 Answers ]

I am installing a new 100A sub-panel. The feed will be from main with a 100A dual-pole breaker. The main and the sub-panel are in the basement. The new sub-pnael Will be about 25 feet from main. I already bought the feed cable for this sub-panel. I bought #4/3 With Ground NM-B romex. The...

15A vs. 20A on #12 Romex [ 10 Answers ]

We are running #12 Romex wire for circuits from the panel. I want some of the breakers in the panel to be 15amp and some to be 20amp. My electrician says that they should all be 20amo because #12 Romex is code for 20 amps. I said sure but it shouldn't matter is we go smaller than code (i.e....

Romex or bx [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My niece is having some electrical work done in her hi rise condo, in manhattan NYC I notice romex cable being used, I always thought bx cable was code for NYC Any info is appr. Thank you

How to run my romex [ 2 Answers ]

I have 15 outlets and 12 lights. I am running 14/2 for the lights and do I run this to the smoke dec. to Right? Then I am running 12/2 for the outlets. Can I tie all the outlets into one circuit, and how many amps --same with the lights. -or--- should I run 2 circuits and split the outlets in half...

View more questions Search