Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    izzycat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Can potential employer find out about past job and disability?
    I worked for a company from 9/07-11/07 then went on disability. I am still employed there, however, do not plan on going back due to my disability (since 12/07)and since have moved away. I am still disabled, but need to find another job ASAP as my disability ran out.

My question is: I want to apply for a new job but don't want to list my current employer (because I don't know if they would give me a good review,etc. worked for only 3 months AND don't want new employer to necessarily know that I was on disability.) Can they find out about my current job? Would it be better to quit the job (since I'm off disability anyway and do not intend to return?) Does make a difference either way in the potential employer finding out about having this job at all and being on disability?

Lastly, if I do decide to list the job - I could put from 9/07-6/08 however, actual work was only done for the first 3 months due to my disability - so if my potential new company called - they would find this out also, right? Even though on paper it looks as though I've been "working" for 9 months? Thanks so much for your help!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by izzycat
    I worked for a company from 9/07-11/07 then went on disability. I am still employed there, however, do not plan on going back due to my disability (since 12/07)and since have moved away. I am still disabled, but need to find another job ASAP as my disability ran out.

My question is: I want to apply for a new job but don't want to list my current employer (because I don't know if they would give me a good review,etc., worked for only 3 mos AND don't want new employer to necessarily know that I was on disability.) Can they find out about my current job? Would it be better to quit the job (since I'm off disability anyway and do not intend to return?) Does make a difference either way in the potential employer finding out about having this job at all and being on disability?

Lastly, if I do decide to list the job - I could put from 9/07-6/08 however, actual work was only done for the first 3 mos due to my disability - so if my potential new company called - they would find this out also, right? Even though on paper it looks as though I've been "working" for 9 months? Thanks so much for your help!!!

It is NEVER a good idea to lie on a job application - if you do and get hired and do a wonderful job and then the truth comes out you can get fired for the false application and in many States you cannot collect Unemployment Insurance.

Of course someone can find out you've been on disability by running a background check. Sometimes disability shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Hard to say.

Again, lying is never a good policy, if not from the moral aspect, from the legal aspect.

If your disability ran out and you moved out of State and you haven't reported back to work you are probably listed as a quit, anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How find employer [ 1 Answers ]

I am from India ,I want to work in Europe , How to find employer I am an electronic & computer Hardware service Eng,

Find Employer [ 8 Answers ]

Find the current employer for Joseph C Harvey of Hempstead, New York

Find an employer [ 1 Answers ]

I need to locate my ex-husband's current employer for child support reasons. Is there any way to do this?

Find an employer [ 3 Answers ]

I know my ex-husband's ssn. I have been awarded a judgement for the money he owes me. Is there a way I can find out where he works so I can have the judgement executed?

View more questions Search