Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandonMB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Garnishment in Georgia
    Ok,

I am currently in quite a bit of debt, and due to circumstances I can't really pay any of it at this point in my life. Recently - 2 months ago - I was sued and had a judgement made against me without being notified of anything. After speaking with the law office that handled the case, I was told that the Sheriffs department here in Savannah Georgia had on file that they served me about the case - but they didn't.

I did what research I could on garnishment and found that it couldn't really be stopped if the dept was valid.. so I said screw it and am just letting them do their thing so to speak.

Now, I have received a letter from another dept collector saying a suit is being prepared against me. Much to my surprised I have read that they can also garnish my wages while they are already being garnished. I am barely scrapping by with the currently garnishment, and another would put me on the street - literally.

My question is regarding something I found about 'Vacating A Default Judgment' what little I could find about it kind of makes me think that I could file papers and maybe stop garnishment for some reason... but I can't find any clear answer, and most of what I've found has been in 'lawyer talk' and I just don't understand it. Can anyone help me understand 'vacating a judgement' and determine if this is a road I can take.

Thanks in advance for any help
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Go to the courthouse and ask to see what there is for proof of service of the original notice of the suit that the judgment was rendered in.

If they have it, you can't stop them from collecting the judgment.

If they don't have it, you can file a motion to dismiss the judgment based on the fact that you were not properly served the original notice of the suit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 03:35 PM
    There is only a maximum you can have taken out of your check, soif you already have the max they can not get any more than the max allowed. But the other garnishment will merely start when the other is paid

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment in Georgia [ 4 Answers ]

Can a credit card debt collector attach or freeze a joint checking account for a debt owed by only the husband? Can they attach or freeze a checking account in only the wife's name?

Georgia Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

What is the formula for the amount that is withheld each week for a Georgia garnishment?

Garnishment in Georgia [ 4 Answers ]

Hello brilliant minds! I have a question about a judgement handed down against me in Fulton county Georgia.Calvary portfolio svcs.llc won a judgement for$4182.00(which turned into $9982.00 by the time of garnishment.I have heard of court costs but over double? Sheesh!)Anyway I was wondering if...

Georgia Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

My question is in regards to wage garnishments in the state of Georgia. What types of debit can I be garnished for in Georgia? Will filing bankruptcy keep me from having my wages garnished? Thanks

Garnishment in Georgia [ 5 Answers ]

A previous landlord filed a Garnishment, faxed the Garnishment paperwork to my husband's place of employment on a day that he wasn't working, and we had already paid the debt in full one day previous to finding out that he had filed the paperwork. What legal grounds do we have for the sending of...

View more questions Search