Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 26, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Limit on number of times you can check your credit?
    Is it true that if you check your credit more than once or twice a year, it reflects badly on your credit? You would think places like free credit report . Com would have to tell you if it was true, but I have read it a few times. I would like to monitor my credit more closely, but I am afraid to check it if it will hurt my credit score or something.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2008, 02:37 PM
    That is why I never check those sites anymore. My bookkeeping teacher and a few others told me that too.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 02:38 PM
    If you inquire for a copy of your credit report, it will not effect your score.

There are also some inquiries by places like insurance companies, and certain retail requests that won't cost you any points as well.

Anyone checking your credit, with the purpose of making a decision regarding the extension of credit is what will cost some points, but. Unless you are going nuts with applications, it would not have a huge effect on the score.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jun 27, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Agree, it will not hurt your scores, those inquiries result of you pulling your own credt files are know as soft inquiries, they only show to you and nobody else.
    There is some curius side effects if you pull you credit too often

In transunion if you pull you file every day after 60 or 70 pulls your hard inquiries, the ones that are result of your aplications for credit and hurt your score, the start to get deleted one by one, this means a increse of up to 20 or even 30 points once all of them are gone.

In Experian it has no effect at all

In Equifax when you pull daily two different things migt happened
    - The same as transunion
    Or
    - You end up with a splitted file, two different credit files and never know wich one your creditors are going to see. When this happened you have to write a letter asking them to merge your files, it takes like 20 or 30 days to get it fix.

Carl.-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Replaced open limit switch too many times. [ 11 Answers ]

I have replaced the open limit switch on my furnace four times in the last four years. I just replaced it today, again and the furnace will not kick in unless I turn off the thermostat and restart it. After several attempts it will start, but will run fine a couple of times then I will do the...

Furnace is blinking 4 times saying open limit switch [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is blinking 4 times indicating that the furnace has an open limit switch. I changed the switch and it is still blinking 4 times indicating the same thing. What else could be wrong or what can I do to fix this problem? ITS COLD!!

What's the time limit for filing charges on someone writing a bad check [ 4 Answers ]

How long do you have to make charges against some for writing a bad check. It was a family member and I wasn't trying to go to court but she refuse to pay it's been a year and she's about to move out of the state.

View more questions Search