Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Mar 20, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Credit card offers through the mail
    Hi every one,

I am so tired of receiving almost every day offers for credit cards through the mail : from banks, credit companies, oil companies...

Is there anything I can do to stop that ?

Thanks guys,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Contact the Direct Marketing Association (http://www.the-dma.org/). If you go to Tools>List Suppression you can add your name to Do Not Contact lists. The DMA is a reputable organization and will not use your info to contact you if you ask to be put on the no contact lists.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Hi,
    Some other suggestions:
    1. Mail back something in the envelope, if it doesn't have your return address on it. Put a blank piece of paper in it, make the envelope look like it contains something. The company has to pay the postage, and if enough people mail in "useless" envelopes, their postage will add up!
    2. Shred the papers you receive with your name and address on them... better than just throwing in the garbage.
    3. Call the number of the company, tell them to take you off their mailing lists, might take 30 to 60 days.
    Best of luck.

Mar 21, 2006, 07:35 AM
    I would NOT suggest using the reply envelopes. First, that is unlikely to take you off their lists since they won't know it came from you. Second, all it will do is raise costs for everyone since the companies just pass the costs of doing business to their customers. Third, its just pure vindictiveness. And fourth, its kind of unethical In my opinion.

Yes, you should shred the envelopes. Identity thieves do go through garbage and look for these offers. I shred all my commercial mail and much of my other mail. But, again, that won't do anything to stop the offers.

Yes, you can try calling the card issuer directly to request your name be taken off the list. But you will probably have trouble winding your way through their automated systems to find the right place. Another possibility would be to use the issuer's WEB site and look for a way to contact them. If you do that I would not use one of your regular e-mail addresses. I keep a couple of free addresses (like Yahoo) to use for such things.
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Hi,
    I have never had any trouble "winding" my way through their automated systems, cause there is eventually a key to press for a Customer Service Representative... that is a fact.
    Another fact is that many, many Groups (some Yahoo Groups) actually started a campaign sending back advertising envelopes, not only to credit card companies, but to other companies as well.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Many systems will direct you to a rep if you just push zero like mad, even when the system doesn't give you that option

Mar 21, 2006, 08:36 AM
    Whether any groups have started such a campaign I do not know. What I DO know is that companies pass the cost of doing business unto their customers. That's what overhead is. If a company's costs rise, then the amount the company charges will rise. The only way a campaign like that would work is if it made the cost of direct mail marketing so high that it exceeded the ROI. And that is very unlikely to happen. Therefore, a campaign like that is counter productive since all it accomplishes is raising the cost for everyone. Its like insurance fraud. The cost of such fraud results in higher rates for everyone. People think that it only hurts the insurance company but that's not true. And those are facts and more applicable ones In my opinion.

Anyone participating in or advocating such a campaign is clearly not thinking through the consequences of the action.

As for IVR systems, yes "eventually" you usually do get to a person. But it often takes several minutes of pressing options. There is currently a couple of Citibank commercials that spoof a guy going through an IVR system. One on a commuter train, when he finally gets a live person, he enters a tunnel losing the signal. While this is a lampoon of these systems, it strikes a cord with people because a lot of them can identify with the frustration of dealing with such a system. Citibank would not run such a commercial if such systems did not have a reputation (deservedly so) for being frustrating. I personally don't find the systems that bad. They definitely have improved over the years. But that doesn't change the fact that some can be frustrating and convoluted. Or the fact that they have a reputation for being so.
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Hi, kp,
    Great suggestion about pushing the "0" like mad... I forgot that one. Thanks.

Mar 21, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Thanks for your inputs.

I do shred my mail because of identity thieves. That's why I thought that if I was not receiving those offers, it would be slightly better.
    Also, I prefer to receive no mail rather than 4 credit offers ! ;)

Thanks again.

Mar 21, 2006, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catseyes
    Thanks for your inputs.

I do shred my mail because of identity thieves. That's why I thought that if I was not receiving those offers, it would be slightly better.
    Also, I prefer to receive no mail rather than 4 credit offers ! ;)

Thanks again.
    One thing to remember about 3rd class mail. The senders of such mail actually subsidize regular postal rates. The majority of mail these days is 3rd class bulk mail. If the amount of such mail was reduced 1st class rates would go up. This is why I'm not tremendously bothered by 3rd class mail as I am by spam e-mail.

I do agree, though, that some 3rd class mail is worse than others. Credit card offers especially, because they constitute such a danger of identity theft, do represent such a category.

But the answer is clearly not to act vindictively or without regard to consequences.

I'm glad I was able to help.

Apr 20, 2006, 09:23 AM
    I'd just like to add something.
    In this month's Glamour issue ( in the US, May 2006 ), it says to call 1-888-5-OPTOUT .
    ( article is "your work and money " p178 : How can I protect myself from identity theft ? )

Apr 20, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Identity theft is a major problem these days. Some tips to protect yourself:

1) Get a shredder. All junk mail, especially credit card, insurance or other financial offers should be shreded.
    2) NEVER give personal info to anyone unless you are 110% sure its legitimate. This is especially true over the WEB. Your bank, credit card or other financial institutions will NEVER ask for that info unless you initiate a request.
    3) Check financial statements carefully. If you see any unusual charges, question it immediately. Take advantage of free services that will keep you posted about balanaces and account activity.
    4) Check your credit report regularly. Make sure its accurate.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2006, 05:03 AM
    When you receive the offer in the mail, first do not open, second mark it "refused and return to sender", they will have to pay the postage to return the mailing to them. You will be remove from their list. They don't like paying for the return postage. Just a thought, I personally do this and I hardly ever receive them anymore.

Apr 21, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    When you receive the offer in the mail, first do not open, second mark it "refused and return to sender", they will have to pay the postage to return the mailing to them. You will be remove from their list. They dont like paying for the return postage. Just a thought, I personally do this and I hardly ever receive them anymore.
    Now there's a suggestion that makes sense.

I thought of marking it deceased, return to sender, but that might back fire ;)
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Hi,
    "Deceased"; LOL. Good one!
    With my luck, the local post office would mark me off their delivery list, and stop all my mail!

Apr 21, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    "Deceased"; LOL. Good one!
    With my luck, the local post office would mark me off their delivery list, and stop all my mail!
    That's why I thought better of it. :D
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2006, 05:32 AM
    Thought that's what you were thinking.
    Just hope I don't return my real bill by mistake!
    JuLee Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 10:48 AM
    I HAD the same problem with those mails! After I bought my new house, all I rcvd was mail from credit card companies. What I did was write in BIG RED letters to TAKE ME OFF THE MAILING LIST right on the paperwork and application they sent me. That way, they know exactly who I am. I used their prepaid envelope and even sent the envelope that they mailed that junk to me with. I had to do this 3-4 times but hey, it didn't cost me anything to do it AND they don't send me that much junk mail anymore!
    bryan305 Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Sep 4, 2006, 07:56 PM
    I found the best way to stop the offers was just to get every card. Once you have it, they won't keep offering it to you.

Sep 5, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Having a lot of cards can have an adverse affect on your credit rating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

Offers for Pre-Approved Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

So the other day I get a letter from a credit card company that says I have been pre-approve for one of their credit cards. The address was my address, but the name on the form didn’t belong to any member of my family! And the name was NOT one of the previous owners (which was over 20 years...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search