Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geli07 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 08:31 AM
    SS and Medicare refund
    Since my employer took out SS and Medicare while I was on my OPT (until we found out he can't do that) I filed for a refund in January. I haven't heard back form the IRS yet. How lond does this usually take?
    I'm getting ready to move back home to Austria, so I was wondering if there is a way of contacting the IRS and ask about my "case".
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
    The norm is 6-8 weeks, but since you are getting ready to leave, it would not hurt to call.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refund of SS and Medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Expert, My SS and medicare taxes were withheld by my employee while I was doing optional practical training and my status was non-resident alien from Jan 1 2005 - Sep 30 2005. From Oct 1 onwards my visa status changed to H1B. That means I should be asking for refund of those withheld...

SS/Medicare refund process [ 1 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert, I have been getting most of my queries solved on this forum, thanks a ton for answering all the questions people ask. I have a short question on claiming refund on SS/Medicare taxes withheld during OPT period. My previous company withheld the two taxes while on OPT. From...

F1-OPT-H1, SSN Medicare Refund Questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, You are doing a wondefully wonderful job here, your posts are so informative. My questions are pretty much in line with others here... Working for Employer A since Feb 1 2005, Feb1 - Oct 15 (2005) on OPT Oct 16 - Present on H1B

SS/Medicare Refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been working on F1 - OPT for the past 9 months. Though I told my employer that I am not required to pay SS/ Medicare they are being deducted from my pay. What is the procedure to get the SS/medicare taxes back when I file the taxes for this year. Thank you

SS/Medicare refund on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I entered US in August 2001. I was on my OPT (Student VISA) till Oct 2004 and then on my H1B. My Social Security and Medicare were deducted on my OPT . For my 2004 tax return I filed 1040A form. I used the software taxact and I did not realize that I have to file 1040NR. To get the...

View more questions Search