Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xrules Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Claiming Tax Exempt treaty in Amendment form
    I came to US in July 2007 and I claimed my tax treaty to be tax-exempt which is true for 2 years.

I then realized that I might be staying in US for more than 2 years so I changed my status to Tax payer and also filed my 2007 returns with a Check to IRS for the due taxes considering me as a tax-payer. I was advised to do with the information that it is better to do so and I can always amend my tax forms.

Now I am leaving in October which is under 2 years and I would like to file the amendment form. How do I claim the check I wrote to IRS for the year 2007 now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
    File the amended tax return. On this return, you will have a refund.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 08:46 AM
    You will need to file Form 1040X. If you submit Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, a new, revised Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ will need to be attached to the Form 1040X.
    xrules Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    You will need to file Form 1040X. If you submit Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, a new, revised Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ will need to be attached to the Form 1040X.
    Thanks Atlanta Tax Expert. This means I need to fill the 1040NR again along with 1040X and send it to the correct address depending on my state.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 09:00 AM
    You will send the amended return to the following address regardless of where you are located:

INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE
    AUSTIN TX 73301-0215

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

Income exempt by treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA,Florida in April 2006 and I left in November 2007.I was doing my internship in hospitality on J-1 visa. I did my taxback for 2006 in Florida in 2007.Now I try to do my taxback for 2007 by 1040NR. I would like to ask if it is possible to exempt my income by a treaty (...

Taxes, optional training and tax exempt treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm getting a little confused with taxes... My situation: I was in optional training for the whole 2006 year. I'm from Spain and I have an exempt taxes treaty. I didn't leave the country for more than a year. And I worked in several jobs. So I understand that since I didn't leave,...

For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department. Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with...

1040NR-EZ Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty [ 3 Answers ]

I came to US in October, 06 on H1B visa from India and would be filing my US returns for the first time. I would be filing my 1040NR-EZ form and in that context would like to know a) what is the amount I should put against line 6 Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty from page 2, Item...

View more questions Search