Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nasticscat7 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 11:46 AM
    8 month old english bulldog crate and house training issues!
    Hi! We got Rogan at 4 months old from a kennel and I believe he got used to eliminating in his crate and cleaning up after himself as well as eliminating wherever and whenever he wanted. Since we got him 4 months ago, he has improved with housebreaking issues. However, the rule of thumb I heard is he should be able to hold his pee for 9 hours (months ofa ge + 1). He has no problem holding his pee overnight or whenever he sleeps for up to 10 hours at one point. However, when he is awake he will not hold it. If we are there, he wants to go out every two hours. If we are not there, during the day during the work week, he pees probably 2 or 3 times in the crate during the 8-12:30 time frame and then again 2 or 3 times during the 1:00 - 5:00 time frame. I have no idea what to do... I know he doesn't want this nor do I as an owner. How can I help him?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 25, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Have him examined by a vet, he could have a urinary infection that has reached his bladder.

Jun 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
    I will have a vet examine him... but I am not sure if it is a health problem - he can hold it for a very long time when sleeping (in our bed though not the crate).
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jun 25, 2008, 01:00 PM
    I would consider blocking off part of the crate so he doesn't have any extra space to use as a bathroom until he stops with the accidents. Nine hours is a long time for a puppy. I am glad you are able to break up the day for him. I would recommend lots of outdoor activity (long walk, play fetch, run around with him) before work and as much as possible during "lunch". Exercise will stimulate him to eliminate and hopefully empty his bladder. Also he might be tired enough to nap most of the time you are gone.

Jun 25, 2008, 01:12 PM
    The crate is blocked off... he just lays in it unfortunately. But I will try to exercise him more before being put in the crate... I take him for a walk but not a very long one... I will try that. Thanks.
    karkarshu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 05:45 PM
    I have a bulldog puppy and the vet told me to feed her in the crate and she will not eliminate where she eats. At first I thought this was mean to feed her in there but I tried it and she never went in the crate again after one feeding in there! It works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

My English Bulldog [ 8 Answers ]

I have an english bulldog and because it is summer time she overheats a lot. Well I am from MI so I too am getting used to it. Well I was wondering if anybody knew at all what other ideas they have of me keeping her cool down. Rigth now I have been giving her a cold bath twice a day. And it is...

English Bulldog crate training [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old English Bulldog and Im in the process of crate training her. She is a very good puppy but still eliminates in her crate at night and during the day when we are gone to work. We have a towel in the bottom so she won't be cold at night and I think this may be part of the cause. ...

Crate training issues [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm the owner of a four month old italian greyhound. We've had him almost three weeks and his housebreaking is coming along fairly well - accidents in the house are becoming infrequent - however he is still consistently messing in his crate! We generally stay up until midnight and I...

10 Week Old Bulldog Pooping in Crate [ 11 Answers ]

I am having a little trouble with my new puppy and after reading as many puppy pooping in crate posts as possible I'm not convinced I have a clear direction to take. The problem at hand is he only seems to poop in his crate even though I'm at home and he has ample time in poop in his designated...

View more questions Search