Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hello3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Roommate not on lease in California refuses to move
    I live in Los Angeles and have been unable to resolve issues with my roommate who is not on the lease. I have lived on this property for many years and am now on a month to month lease. My roommate has paid rent directly to the landlord and has some utilities in his name, but is not on the lease as the agreement is in my name. I have asked him to leave, but he is not agreeing. My landlord doesn't want to be involved.

From what I understand, I basically became his landlord as I am the one who is responsible per the original lease. I am willing to give him 60 days to find alternate living arrangements as he has been here for over a year. I just want to make sure I am interpreting things correctly before I proceed further.

Thank you so much!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 01:29 PM
    The part that confuses me, is that he pays directly to the landlord, which gives him a basic verbal rental agreement with the landlord not you.
    So has the landlord basically rented the same place to two people?

This would be my defense if I was him and went to court, and I wuld show where I paid the landlord ( not you) and that the landlord is not evicting me.

Who found this renter, who made the rental agreement with him, and why is he paying the landlord not you

Now yes the way you stated is how it should work
    hello3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 02:28 PM
    I was living between NY and LA for a while for work, so I brought him in to stay in the extra room to help supplement the rent when I was out of town. I also did not want to give the place up. The landlord stated that he didn't want a new lease as he would have to go up on th rent and didn't know my friend at the time.

To make it simpler while out of town, he made deposits directly in to the landlord's account, although the rental agreement was made in my name several years before I brought him in.
    diggitydogg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 03:42 AM

Your roommate actually has a written agreement with the landlord if he has paid by check/money order etc. I would go to housing authority website

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-Roommate refuses to pay recent rent, though not on lease [ 2 Answers ]

In September, 2007, my best friend at the time and I moved into a great new apartment in Brooklyn. Because our combined incomes were not enough to get the apartment, my parents agreed to co-sign. Because of this, only my name had to be on the lease. Regrettfully, I did not require that my friend...

Getting off your lease when roommate kicked you out and refuses to sign you off [ 2 Answers ]

Ok so I moved in with my boyfriend last year. We had only been together for about a yr. 3 weeks after moving in I find out he cheated on me. Since I have tried kicking him out - he refuses to leave. So finally I decided I would leave next time we had a big fight. He verbally kicked me out. I found...

Violent roommate not on lease refuses to leave [ 4 Answers ]

Out of desperation, I moved in with a former coworker. My name is on the lease because his credit is too bad to get an apartment in a decent area by himself. He constantly makes sexual comments, eats my food, and then when I mention something about it becomes angry, yells at the top of his lungs...

Early termination of lease, roommate refuses to pay remainder of rent on her own [ 2 Answers ]

I was renting a townhouse with a 12-month lease with a roommate in PA. 9 months into this lease, I needed to relocate due to a job move. I informed my roommate as well as gave a 30 day written notice to my landlord. The request was for my name to be removed from the lease after 30 days. It was...

I've terminated a lease but roommate refuses to move out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate which I've given a 30 day notice in writing to terminate the lease agreement (I've posted on the door and had a witness sign it who viewed me posting it to the front of the door since the roommate and I don't get along and my fiancé an I want to live alone and start a family. ...

View more questions Search