Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krt222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 09:43 PM
    1099-MISC, SS-8, Etc. Need Help!
    Ok, hopefully someone can help me here. This last summer I worked for the University of Michigan as an undergraduate student researcher. I worked under a professor and in my opinion was CLEARLY an employee. However,
    I recently received a good old 1099-MISC form from U of Michigan stating the big 3500$ they paid me over the summer in box 7 as non-employee compensation. Other than that income, I had a mere 1000$ W2 income from another state. If I can't get the IRS to take my side on the status of my work (employee versus contractor) through the SS-8 form, then I will have to pay in 600$ or so... which is pretty ridiculus considering I didn't make more than 4500$ during the entire year.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or know anything to help me out here? Should I fill out everything (1040, Schedules C or C-EZ and SE, etc.) or do you think it will be likely that my SS-8 form request will be seen in favor of me?

Thanks in advance!

- Kevin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2006, 10:10 PM
    Kevin:

I answered your question on the Private Message system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc on h1b? [ 4 Answers ]

I am working on an H1B, and received a 1099-MISC from a direct-sales company of which I am a registered distributor. The 1099 income is reported as "non-employee compensation". When I file this in Schedule C, can I claim for the expenses that I incurred? Are there any restrictions for H1B? ...

1099 Misc not sure? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc. for money earned in assisting someone else in her clothing trunk shows in 2005. Not sure how to complete sch c for business name and if I can deduct mileage, meals, etc. that I paid for during these times. Also assist in clothes deliveries from these shows so have some...

F1, w-2 and 1099-Misc [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I did go across lot of threads and it helped me. But I hope I can get answers to my queries. I was on F1- status throughout last year. However I was paid on 1099-misc and w-2 by two employers. My Questions 1) Do I need to attach 1099-misc or is the employer tax id enough? ...

F1, 1099-misc and w-2s [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new member. Its nice to see so many people here who can help. Here's my situation: My status in 2004: Student on F1 (I still am on F1 until my H1 is approved) Was attending school full-time until: August 19, 2004 Working on OPT since August 20, 2004. My nationality: Indian I...

View more questions Search