Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell 1111 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 07:56 AM
    High potassium
    My boyfriend recently got told he had high potassium level in his blood and now he has to have hep test. Why is this. When I have looked on internet high potassium levels relate to the kidneys not the liver?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Was this a serum (blood) or urine potassium test?
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Did they state what kind of Hep test it would be? Possibly Hep C?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Why theyd jump to hepatitis screening from elevated potassium immediately is beyond me, but I'm not an expert in this area... just knowledgeable enough to chime in occasionally.

Had they done a liver panel yet? Why was he being tested in the first place? Any symptoms? History worth talking about?
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:28 AM
    I agree KP, this is way out of the ordinary to check for hep when finding elevated K+. While looking though my diagnostic books, elevated K+ can be caused by a wide variety of things. Does your boyfriend have diabetes per chance? Addison's Disease? Is he dehydrated? What is his diet like? Does he eat a lot of salt or salt substitutes?

I can't seem to find a link between the two. Alcoholism (which would include the liver) would cause a decrease in his potassium (K+) level, as would a number of other factors that would include the liver.

Jun 25, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Did they state what kind of Hep test it would be? Possibly Hep C?

No it just says hepititus. He had high potassium in blood test so was wondering why he had to have hep test, also he has to go for u&e and ltf test
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Does he have any other health conditions?

Jun 25, 2008, 08:34 AM
    I agree KP, this is way out of the ordinary to check for hep when finding elevated K+. While looking though my diagnostic books, elevated K+ can be caused by a wide variety of things. Does your boyfriend have diabetes per chance? Addison's Disease? Is he dehydrated? What is his diet like? Does he eat a lot of salt or salt substitutes?

I can't seem to find a link between the two. Alcoholism (which would include the liver) would cause a decrease in his potassium (K+) level, as would a number of other factors that would include the liver.

He doesn't drink much, hasn't got diabetes. He drinks protein drinks?? By why a hep test? Why did you automatically say hep c?
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell 1111
    He doesn't drink much, hasn't got diabetes. He drinks protein drinks??? By why a hep test? Why did you automatically say hep c?
    Hep A and Hep B are viral illnesses and are not necessarily permanent. Hep C can be gotten through shared needles (drug abusers), tattoos, sexual transmission, etc.

Protein drinks, in excess, may cause a disorder with both the kidneys and the liver.

Jun 25, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Hep A and Hep B are viral illnesses and are not necessarily permanent. Hep C can be gotten through shared needles (drug abusers), tattoos, sexual transmission, etc.

Protein drinks, in excess, may cause a disorder with both the kidneys and the liver.

Another question for you! Do hospitals automatically test for hiv, hep and that when pregnant?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Didn't know this... I knew severe exercise that tears up muscle (like a marathon) can lead to kidney failure... but still don't get why a jump to hepatitis?

Does he work in the medical field or in a hospital?
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Depends on where you live. But where I am, it is routine to test for Hep, HIV, Rubella immunity, etc.

So, the answer to your question is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    but still dont get why a jump to hepatitis?

I don't really understand that either, but it can lead to liver failure, not hepatitis, which in and of itself is a virus. Certain strains are curable, yet others are lifelong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sodium potassium pump [ 5 Answers ]

What is the purpose of the sodium postssium pump? I know how it works but my book fails to say what the point of it is. Thanks!

Bananas and Potassium [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, About how many bananas would you have to eat daily to have a problem with high levels of potassium, assuming that there are no kidney or other health problems?

Potassium-free meals [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has glomerunephritis, insufficiencey and hypertension. It was highly suggested he eat potassium free - help!! The list of foods he should NOT eat is a mile long, and the OK list has no decent ideas for good meals on it. Any suggestions? ...

Sodium and potassium for rehydration [ 2 Answers ]

How does adding sodium and potassium to water aid in rehydration? How is the water able to get there faster? Help please Test tomorrow

Potassium [ 2 Answers ]

This is a hard question to answer. I take a diuretic for high blood pressure (torsemide ) One time I was rush to the hospital. I had a low potassium level. I know you get potassium From many foods. I take chelated Potassium 99mg from the drugstore.Once a day in the morning, with the rest of my...

View more questions Search