Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    treborjfe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Microsoft Excel running VERY slowly
    I have recently upgraded two computers at work one runs as a server for 5 others. The one machine was running exceptionally slowly especially opening Excel files. I upgraded both machines with 1GB of ram thinking this would make them really fly ( they were 256meg previously) but no - the machine with the Excel problem is still taking about 2 minutes to open a file! Any ideas?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Are you running a networked installation of Excel?

Is the file you are opening also on the network?

Long file-open times have ended up being network related issues in my previous experious, that's the only reason I ask.

Also, if you just upgraded the memory on your computers, Windows may spend some time over the next few days "fiddling" with your virtual memory. You can avoid the wait that goes along with all that background fiddling by "bricking" your virtual memory.

BRICKING - setting the virtual memory block to 2.5 times your real memory, for you 2500mb.
    1. Right click on MY COMPUTER > select PROPERTIES
    2. Click the ADVANCED tab > PERFORMANCE > ADVANCED tab
    3. Virtual Memory CHANGE
    4. Set the Custom size to 2500 in both the initial and maximum boxes
    5. Click SET > OK
    6. Close out of the properties boxes and reboot.
    dmaildocs Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Are you running any virus software?
    Have you done software updates lately?
    Are you running other applications in the background?
    Do you experience this problem with other programs?

You could use our installation disks to do a repair on Microsoft Office. If it is only excel that causes you this problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Vista, Microsoft office 2007, Microsoft equation 3.0 [ 5 Answers ]

I have Microsoft Vista which I do not think really makes that much of a difference but I have Microsoft Office 2007 and I need to use Microsoft equation 3.0. I know I have it on my computer because I found it. I just don't know how to use it. I have taken a couple of tutorials and still can not...

Excel running balance formula [ 5 Answers ]

In Excel's help they have a running balance "how to" (below) but it requires the entry of a zero for fields not used. I'd like to do it like a checkbook register. How can I do it so that whether I enter a deposit or a withdrawal, the balance column will be updated? Thanks!

Microsoft Excel 2003 takes more mem usage [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to reduce excel 2003 mem usage to be reduced? One of my applications runs fine on Excel 2000 and fails in Excel 2003 with low virtual memory capacity error. Under task manager on looking into the "mem usage" for Excel 2000 its around 30MB and in Excel 2003 its DOUBLE!! Any...

Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly. [ 2 Answers ]

The drain for my Water Softener, Washer, and basement sink sits behind my washer. It is a 2 inch PVC pipe that comes out of the wall, has a visible trap, and stands vertically about 2 feet. The washer drains into the top and the Softener and sink water enter the pipe through a PVC that joins the...

Microsoft Excel 2003 Worksheet Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Would you please help me solve the problem I am having! This is the problem: I have installed MS Office 2003 on my two home computers. Everything is OK on one computer, but MS Excel 2003 is a problem on another computer. When I open a new workbook, I always get a blank worksheet that has...

View more questions Search