Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Allergy or not
    Hello:

Ok, I'm going to stump you. I've got an allergy - maybe...

I break out in hives. This first happened about 30 years ago. I went to the doctor. He started testing me for allergies. You know, he stuck about 50 different things in me and waited to find out which ones I reacted to.

Well, I reacted to grass, and wheat and peanuts... The usual stuff that everybody is allergic too. So, I stopped that stuff.. I eventually stopped using EVERYTHING.. But the allergy kept occurring. I never did find out what I'm allergic too, and the doctor was just too expensive to continue with.

Sooo, this went on for a year or so, then stopped. I mean stopped cold...

Three or four years later it started again. Then stopped after a year or so. It started again about 5 years later, and now comes back for a year or so every 5 to 7 years.

Taking an antihistamine makes 'em go away... But, I just think it's strange. No?

excon
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Have you been tested for celiac? (allergy to gluten)

Do you just have hives or is it other symptoms as well (feeling sick, weak, faint, pain, etc?)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Hmm, I have so many dirty answers, but not going to do it. ;)

Is it seasonal? Could be a plant allergy. How about laundry detergent, pet allergies, although I'm sure the doc tested for that.

My hubby has a similar problem, red itchy scabby hands, for around 2 years now, the docs are stumped as well. He gets cortisone shots every 3 months because it's very painful.

It could also be stress induced. Possible?

Just my guess, and uneducated one at that, seeing as I'm not in any type of medical field. I do have kids though, and they get all kinds of things.

Let us know if you find out. :)
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    I do have kids though, and they get all kinds of things.
    ... funniest line I've heard all day.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

Ok, I'm gonna stump you. I've got an allergy - maybe....

I break out in hives. This first happened about 30 years ago. I went to the doctor. He started testing me for allergies. You know, he stuck about 50 different things in me and waited to find out which ones I reacted to.

Well, I reacted to grass, and wheat and peanuts... The usual stuff that everybody is allergic too. So, I stopped that stuff.. I eventually stopped using EVERYTHING.. But the allergy kept occurring. I never did find out what I'm allergic too, and the doctor was just too expensive to continue with.

Sooo, this went on for a year or so, then stopped. I mean stopped cold...

Three or four years later it started again. Then stopped after a year or so. It started again about 5 years later, and now comes back for a year or so every 5 to 7 years.

Taking an antihistamine makes 'em go away... But, I just think it's strange. No?

excon
    Oh, I could break this all down and make some very dirty remarks, but better saved for PM :p

What I would suggest is making a diary of everything you put in your mouth. Yeah, you read it right EVERYTHING. *shy giggle*

Make a list of everything taken in orally (oops I said it again), and every new soap, detergent, fabric softener.

Then, compare it to when you break out. After a while you should begin to see a pattern develop.

If it's something you can't live without, (oh, jeeze, there I go again), take the antihistimine before "ingesting" the known allergen.

Avoid new laundry soaps and fabric softeners, shower soaps, shampoos. Use the same ones all the time without fail.

After a certain length of time, oh, say a month or so, you will probably be able to narrow down the list to a few things, then finally to one or two specific things.

Does this happen any certain time of the year or all year long?

Sorry to be so lengthy, and if my spelling is off, blame it on being up for 36 hours.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:18 AM
    excon, if you gave me the hives I'm currently VERY uncomfortable with, I'm going to have to hurt you.

I have no advice, I just wanted to give you the warning :)
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Heck, I'm getting hives just reading this. Oh, must be time for another beer... it's night time for me you know. LOL
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:46 AM
    excon agrees: Of course I've done those things - year in and year out. NOTHING. So, NOW will you talk dirty to me?
    Will talking dirty to you make the hives go away?
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Have we found a cure? Talking dirty works? Well then, a dirty joke for you excon;

A white horse fell in to the mud.:D :D :D :D :p

Sorry, can't post the ones I really want to. ;)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Will talking dirty to you make the hives go away?
    Do you expect him not to lie with a proposition like that??
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Why do the best witches fly without panties?
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Ooooh, I don't know, why? Please tell me, the suspense is killing me. :)
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Why do the best witches fly without panties?
    Better grip!! :p
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Oooooh, should have seen that one coming. ;):)

Okay, I should be able to get away with this one;

I went to the Pre-ejaculation Clinic today. The problem was that when I got there everyone was gone. I guess I came early.:p
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Better grip!!!! :p

Hey now!

That's not true at all! It's because we're all closet exhibitionists!

Erm... I mean THEY! THEY are all exhibitionists!

(I didn't recover that, did I?)
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    (I didn't recover that, did I?)

Nope, not well at all.
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Nope Synn, too late. :);)

I could do the witch thing, all I need is the outfit, I already have the broom. But, I'm wearing underwear, the broom has a wood handle. OUCH!

Got to run. Later all. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Hello again:

Oy vey!

excon
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:08 PM
    excon, you know you love it. :)

And KP, tease, well, sometimes, but not when it counts. :)
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Sorry to make light of your allergies excon dear. Why don't you just come over here to the nursey nursey and I'll give you some allergy tests of my own. :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat allergy [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest what I could take to cure or ease my symptoms from being allergic to my cat

Allergy for 3 years [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I am suffering from nose allergy for 3 years Every day my nose is close , day after day I have eye headace , More over rainy nose , all antihistamine didn't work for me I just moved to Dallas TX and it became worest I need to see a physican for nose allergy but I need advise...

Is this Allergy season? [ 2 Answers ]

I am sneezing a lot. I don't think it's the flu. I had that already. - just stuffiness and sneezing. I thought we were past the allergy season. Does anyone know?

Newborn and Cat Allergy? [ 2 Answers ]

My newborn (6 weeks) recently broke out in a red bumpy rash ONLY on her face. She was slightly congested (very little sneezy and coughing). Someone suggested it might be an allergy to our cat. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced a cat allergy and a small infant and what the signs might...

Do I have allergy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I normally do not have smelly sweat, but these days I feel my sweat smells under one are, and I have red itchy bumps all over, I scratch them and they leave marks all over , do I have allergy ? I have never had any kind of allergy all my life.

View more questions Search