Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smhaff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Are fresh air returns needed in a home system?
    I am replacing my old existing AC/heating unit and my contractor recommended not putting in a fresh air return in the system. My impression is that one is needed. Our house was built in '64 and is not air tight. I want to insure we do not have a sick house syndrome. Any educated information would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    ridgid002 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2006, 12:24 PM
    When u say fresh air return system are u talking about an outside fresh air source or an inside return air system to your furnace... please let me know and ill be able to answer further thanks
    smhaff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 04:22 PM
    I am referring to an outside air source that allows for outside air to get introduced into the system.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Do you mean pulling in additional air from outside? If so, I doubt that it would be necessary. How was the old system working? Were you having respiratory problems, allergies, odor, etc. problems? If not, I see no need to increase you electric bill by cooling and drying more outside air. Modern construction is much tighter than is the 60's. You should have plenty of fresh air infiltrating. The original materials should be done outgasing.

I see mold as the most likely case of any problems. Getting rid of the old ''A'' coil might be a big step forward in controlling it. Another good step would be cleaning the existing duct work.
    ridgid002 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2006, 08:59 PM
    Definitely not there is no reason... aside from any medical... to bring in outside air into your system a house built in the 60's is certainly not air tight and would only cost u money... A on the installation and B on your fuel bills as long as the system has adequate air flow... ie the correct cfms of supply and return for each room I can see no reason other than u would personally want it... to bring fresh air in from the outside
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 20, 2006, 06:04 AM
    The only reason that you may need to have a cold air return installed is that it may be required by your cities code. Give them a call and see what they have to say.

If you do opt for one, make sure that the HVAC installer doesn't actually plumb it into the cold air return. (This will suck in the outside air every time the system runs, whether in A/C or Heating mode). Instead, have them run it along side the furnace and then into a five gallon bucket.

The static air pressure will keep the air from just dumping and making the floor cold. With it put into a bucket, intake air would only be introduced when there is negative pressure in the house. (Like when a bathroom or kitchen fan is run or the clothes dryer).

Another item to consider is an air to air exchanger. This type needs to be plumbed into the ductwork as it diverts some of the returning air (or from the kitchen/bath fans) and then sends it through a "black box" to allow it to give up it's heat energy to the incoming air which is then fed into the cold air return.

If you have windows that fog up on the inside, this is the type of system you need.

Good Luck, Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple Fresh air returns, high and low ones. [ 5 Answers ]

Each bed room in my house has heating vents on floor, 2 rooms have 2 and 2 rooms have 2, but each room has return air vents , 2 each in each room, one off the floor about a foot and the other about a foot off the ceiling. I notice when painting and removing that someone had taped certain ones...

Heating system for log home [ 5 Answers ]

We are in the process of building a log home. 1. Size of the home is 1796 sq ft. second floor is 534 sq ft. catheral ceiling, home will be on full basement. 2. planning to use propeane for heat. And will have central air. 3. What would to the best size propane heat unit and central air...

Advice needed please on home hair colouring [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I used to have a fantastic hairdresser who came to my home every 6 weeks to colour my hair for 10 years, I loved how she did it, but unfortunately she had to move away because of her husbands job. This has been over 6 years and I have tried unsuccessfully to re-create the colour myself at...

Map of Home Electrical System [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again. I just bought a new (to me) home and want to get a handle on the electrical system. The home has 100amp service with a breaker box (95% of slots filled). What is the best way to determine what outlets and switches in the house are connected to which breakers, and how much room I have to...

60 amp 230volt home circuit needed [ 3 Answers ]

I'm going to be running a Plasma Cutter and 230V Tig welder. The plasma cutter requires between 55-60 amps maximum. I was wondering what I need to do in order to run a 230 volt, 60 amp circuit from garage mounted circuit panel, to an external receptacle outside of my basement on a concrete...

View more questions Search