Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michellet218 Posts: 51, Reputation: 0

Jun 24, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Should I move to Savannah, GA?
    Michelle again. 23 year old african american woman. I want to move to Savannah, GA in about 2 more years so that I can attend Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). Is it a good place to live? I googled it, and they say the crime and gang rate is up. It's bad here in Columbia, SC too, but how much difference is there? Do you recommend me moving there? I would like your honest opinion. Don't sugar coat. Is it safe? Is it enough to do? Clubs? Malls? Racism? Anything else? Thanks!! :D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 02:46 PM
    ? Safe, crime is up everywhere and if you live in the projects you will be living in the projects, It is a small city that does have a high tourist trade. Most of the crime is thefts, car thefts but it is safer than Atlanta GA and other major cities. Culbs, over all not the nightlife capital of the world, but there are places to go, but then you will be out drinking and partiing, so your possible crime areas are not up.
    Mall, a lot of down town, antique shops, and things, there is normal shopping.
    Racism, depends on where you are coming from, if you have a attitude you wll find problems everywhere. I visted there many times, mixed marriage, and found more raism among the blacks, But you will find some racism everywhere.
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Jun 25, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Savannah is an old and beautiful city. It is very near the ocean. Tybee Island is a beach resort area. On the way to the beach, you travel through marsh and by historic old Fort Pulaski, next to the Savannah River on your left. Back in the city which you left behind on the way to Tybee, you can watch shipping traffic creep in to dock or out to sea.

Riverwalk has become a main attraction. There are cobblestone and quaint shops, street music, and monthly arts and craft shows. This is next to the river where you can turn around to watch that river traffic--not heavy traffic, but periodic. There are hotels in this area, some right on (overhanging) the river.

Some streets have squares right in the middle so that you have to go around half the square in your vehicle to continue down the street. Many, many trees and flowers are in these squares and line the streets. This is not in all the city, but enough to give you a sort of laid-back feel. Savannah has both the old and the new.

There are riverboat rides, carriage rides, and a variety of restaurant cuisine.

Savannah is app 4.5 hours from Atlanta, all on interstate highways.

Convinced? Packed yet?

Question: Isn't Columbia close enough for you to visit, interview some people, and get a personal feel for yourself?

Jun 26, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4U
    Savannah is an old and beautiful city. It is very near the ocean. Tybee Island is a beach resort area. On the way to the beach, you travel through marsh and by historic old Fort Pulaski, next to the Savannah River on your left. Back in the city which you left behind on the way to Tybee, you can watch shipping traffic creep in to dock or out to sea.

Riverwalk has become a main attraction. There are cobblestone and quaint shops, street music, and monthly arts and craft shows. This is next to the river where you can turn around to watch that river traffic--not heavy traffic, but periodic. There are hotels in this area, some right on (overhanging) the river.

Some streets have squares right in the middle so that you have to go around half the square in your vehicle to continue down the street. Many, many trees and flowers are in these squares and line the streets. This is not in all the city, but enough to give you a sort of laid-back feel. Savannah has both the old and the new.

There are riverboat rides, carriage rides, and a variety of restaurant cuisine.

Savannah is app 4.5 hours from Atlanta, all on interstate highways.

Convinced? Packed yet?

Question: Isn't Columbia close enough for you to visit, interview some people, and get a personal feel for yourself?

Yes, Columbia SC is 2hrs 30 minutes from Savannah. I was going to plan my next trip to Savannah BEFORE the year is over with, and when I get a little extra money. HA ha I'm not packed yet Lol but I'll definitely give it a try! Do they have a downtown with the really big and high sky scrapers? I've seen pictures of Savannah online, but I didn't see any tall skyscrapers downtown. It's not a big deal to me, I just want to get an idea of how their downtown (or the city) looks like. Thanks for the reply! :)
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Jun 26, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Not aware of really high skyscrapers. Could you settle for some cobblestone streets in the River Street area?

There's a really S'uth'n lady on cooking shows on T.V. sometimes. I think her name may be Laura Deen, or something like that. She has a restaurant there. Well, I'm not sure if she is the owner. The name is something like "Mother & Sons" or "(something else) "and sons." I saw the guys on T.V. recently. I've eaten there once. Not a weight loss program there. We're talkin' down home S'uth'n style country cooking like collards and yams, fried chicken and the like.

Packed yet?
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
    I haven't been in Savannah, Ga in since 1967. My knowledge is far from current, but back then, it was very racist all through that area. I was in the service from California, and found the whole situation beyond belief!! Segregation was a very big issue at the time and hatred for one people of another by color was everywhere ! However it is today, I am positive it cannot be as bad as it was. Unfortunately, gangs, crime, and bigotry exist in every city in this country. You can be a victim no matter where you live. If this school is your goal, go for it. You need to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you go and watch out for yourself at all times, but you can't put life on hold for unknown dangers. I also believe that there are people in Savannah of all colors who have never been a victim, and with precautions, neither will you. I wish you well in this and all your endeavors.

Good luck

PS I think the cook's name is Paula Deen. I know this because I like to eat... and it shows !
    bofosho912 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Savannah is ****ty and nothing but trouble the cops suck so much and the scad students always get robbed if you decide to live downtown there is only one good mall the olglethorpe one of the onlys things to do is go to this mall and walk around racism is relatively non existing beside your old *** Confederates its more blacks hating on whites but the worst part about savannah is trying not develop an addiction because the place drives you insane and the drugs are good and very easy to find
    TWOLIVECREW912 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2011, 10:54 AM
    Savannah is way worst than Atlanta because its more poverty than any other city in Georgia. I wouldn't recommend you to live their because there isn't nothing tere no jobs nothing but a bunch of poor or middle class black folks in the city and all the whites live on the outskirts like rincon or effingham county. I would prefer you to live in Atlanta because it's a much beautiful city than savannah and a higher cost of living.
    hillarysteeno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 07:31 PM
    Hey Michelle,

The best way to answer that question is to see for yourself! I know that's pretty impossible with that kind of commute, but www.savannahneighborhoodguide.com has a bunch of videos where you can see the neighborhoods, and links to crime data, demographic data, and all that good stuff. Hope it helps!
    jamani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
    Hi. It's true- finding jobs here is very hard, but if you got accepted to SCAD already, why HAVEN'T you started packing? It's one of the top art schools in the USA. The weather is absolutely gorgeous year round. I haven't been doing well, and I no longer have the job that got me down here from NYC. And some of this beauty is hard to take sometimes. I need to periodically revisit NYC where I came from. Savannah is very beautiful. (I said I'm from NY!) The rent is fantastically affordable. I got accepted into public housing (they are not projects-thank-you!)--which I agree is a blessing! SCAD is everywhere here, but do be careful--as you would in any city. I agree that you are so close that you should visit already--preferably to SCAD and talk to them about it. There is lots of student housing. My daughter went to Atlanta and Savannah, and had to deal with a lot of begging in Atlanta!--altho. I am dying to visit there! If you are from SC, it's probably enough like Savannah. In Savannah one needs a good job or a decent retirement income--unless one is a student here for a while. Then there's work study and college or restaurant or store jobs. Target is one place that'as always hiring! Armstrong College also has an art program, and Savannah State is one of the original HBCUs. All the White-and students of other nationalities--including African-Americans are here.

I was worried about Southern Whites, since I'm from NYC (where we don't have problems with our regular -non-NYPD-White folks! LOL). But these are some of the nicest White people I have ever dealt with, esp. in stores, and in business (e.g. electric company, etc.)! I was so pleasantly surprised! Most of the city bus (CAT) drivers are Black & women--as are the school bus drivers. So no problem with racism towards passengers.

You know, NYC has top art schools, too. But it is very expensive (the rents are off the chain!). And moving to Savannah from SC sounds like a no-brainer to me! Keep us posted!

Nov 5, 2012, 11:06 PM
    Wow this is so old I forgot I had written it 4yrs ago LOL! I decided to move to Charlotte, NC in May 2012. So I've been here for 6months now, and I LOVE Charlotte. I'm attending the Art Institute of Charlotte for fashion marketing, and it's a great school. The only complaint I have about the school is the parking but that's it. There's a lot of networking here, and helpful people. I'm in Charlotte to START my fashion education. I don't know what state I'll end up in next, I'm just going to follow the wind and listen to what God tells me. Wherever my career takes me, then I'll follow. But until then, Charlotte, NC it is. Thanks to everyone for all the tips and responses. I appreciate it lots!

Satisfied emerging fashion designer, Michelle
    jamani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 11:18 AM
    OK, Michelle. Thanks for responding! I am glad that you are happy! Isn't Charlotte part of the triangle / quad--or at least near it? The Raleigh, Durham, Greensville (?) triangle was booming years ago. A lot of good money makers were retiring in their 40s and moving there (priobably to continue working), and enough of them were Whites--doing very well in their jobs. Of course, the recession has changed a lot of things I guess.

Well God continue to bless you in your career and in your life! Glad you made the right choice!

Janis from Savannah / NYC
    1234whatarewe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2013, 09:37 AM
    I went there for a job interview to work in a hospital back in '93. It was for a good job and the hospital put me up in a nice hotel for a week. The beach was really beautiful, and there is a lot of terrific history there. As a Kansan, we have a proud history of "Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education" which went to the Supreme Court and caused school segregation to end. Kansas was also the beginning of the underground railroad with slaves escaping to Kansas from the South.
    When I went to the hospital, I noticed all the women employees dressed up in tight skirts, and high heels and were very feminine, lots of jewelry, curled hair - all that - it's like it was expected of them. I noticed the only African-Americans working there were janitors. The Black people I saw working around town were cashiers. I went out to dinner with 3 doctors from the hospital and I pointed out this employment situation for African-Americans to the doctors. They nodded and said "That's right", as if it meant nothing to them and that's how it is. I don't think I would have fit in in Savannah, as beautiful as it is.
    SCL1977 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2014, 02:33 PM
    I was wondering something similar Michelle. My family is from Savannah but I live in Indiana now and I haven t been back to Savannah since 1996. I d like to move back eventually for I T work. I was just curious how much has it changed in all this time? I spent every summer in Savannah till I was 15. I d prefer living out away from the city in the coastal areas. My family says crime is up in town but SCAD is a great college and may be worth the hassle if you can afford the $60,000 a year price tag. You can always tell a SCAD building by how its built. They are all over the historic area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does he like me? Respond [ 3 Answers ]

OK,I like this guy he is a identical twin he is nearly 16 and I am 14.He plays tennis with my x crush and his bro. ( yes he is single! ) OK,I went to a sleepover with my mates and got a little typsy and decided to ring him and leave him a miss call, he foned me so text back " who r u? y do u...

Does anyone know if you can own a Savannah cat in Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if you can own a Savannah Cat in Michigan? And if so what are the laws.. thank you

How do I respond to her? [ 4 Answers ]

OK, I want to get back together with my ex. I want to reply to her email but am not sure why she's telling me these things. Here are some parts from her email to me: "I have been going through a lot myself lately i havent really been talkative with anyone lately. My problems are my own making...

View more questions Search